Time to Change

Former Employee - Information Technology in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Information Technology in Portland, OR

I worked at Con-way Freight

Pros

Good benefits, great location, friendly employees. In general Con-way was a solid place to work. It was not difficult to be successful at Con-way.

Cons

Leadership is so vastly varied in their skills. What makes an employee successful in one department is not meeting expectations in another. There are plenty of people who have skated through adding very little value for years and are completely overlooked. Higher level leadership does not "walk the talk." As a shared services organization, many employees were treated poorly by the business partners in the field and leadership did not do a great job of supporting employees.

Advice to Management

Develop stronger partnerships with the field operational leaders and stop letting them walk on you. Understand what your value add is to the business and capitalize on that...what worked in the past is not going to work now or in the future.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

ok

Former Employee - Account Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Con-way Freight

Pros

company has ok pay and the benifits are not too bad. They expect you to go there way or the highway

Cons

over priced and service is same as other carriers, they like to think they are too good. pay high more

Advice to Management

dont look down to the employees and expect too much when not much is given in return. higher good people

Don't drink the 5-star kool-aid

Current Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Con-way Freight

Pros

About the only pro is that they allow some (limited, grudging) work from home. Most of their technology stack is very dated and often the interesting work is done by consultants.

Cons

The fifth star is you! Sounds like something you'd say at a child's birthday party. I work in the IT department in Portland, OR. Most of the senior management is weak, from the CIO (who is leaving soon) on down. To give you an idea of the environment, management announced it was laying of 300 people while standing under a banner promoting our Commitment (it's one of the stars!)...then scheduled a "Keep the Dream Alive" event for two months later. All infrastructure (~50% of IT) is going to India, and development is next. I suspect the IT department will be entirely outsourced in the next few years, so I wouldn't plan on much of a career at Con-way. If you join, expect 2.5% raise every year, meager bonus (which somehow is never paid), declining benefits, and a black hole on your resume...uh, yes, Mister Employer, I worked on 2001 technology from in 2010. Very much an old boys' network, who you know sort of place. Advancement to senior-level position is common but beyond that, forget it - and your salary is locked in place forever. Very untrustworthy management - e.g., "we're giving you a 5% pay cut that is strictly temporary", then "we're restoring half of it but I'm afraid the other half is permanent". Great place to work 10-15 years ago...pretty awful today, with abysmal morale. The best and the brightest have long since fled.

Advice to Management

Drop the five stars, Quarterly Leadership, Collaboration Awards, Star Cards, decision making framework, LEAN, and the rest of that management fad mumbo jumbo. Get out of your offices.