Satisfied but not thrilled

Current Employee - Associate Editor in New York, NY
Current Employee - Associate Editor in New York, NY

Pros

Conde Nast is a great place to work because of it's superior reputation—I think it's a great line on your resume and very well respected in the industry. It's the kind of place that everyone is interested in, whether is learning about Anna Wintour or what the cafeteria is like—everybody is curious and maybe a bit jealous. I also really respect the editorial freedom we are granted. The benefits package, including medical, dental and other benefits like museum discounts, fitness reimbursement, and tuition allowance are also great. And, I really like the people—there are lots of interesting and creative individuals at the company.

Cons

Although I like my job at Conde Nast and am satisfied overall, there are some drawbacks. As most people probably already know, the salaries tend to be low. I'm not sure how they are for more senior positions, but on the lower levels they are well, low. My other complaint is the lack of positive feedback. I feel like we get all the negative, all the complaints and problems but we put in all this time and do so much hard work and that often isn't recognized, it's simply expected. I would feel better about my job if I got some more support and feedback from management.

Advice to Management

I would appreciate more positive reinforcement and support.

Other Employee Reviews for Condé Nast

1. A great place to work if you ignore the politics

Current Employee - Senior Technology Manager in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Senior Technology Manager in Wilmington, DE

Pros

Being a private company, things happen very fast.

Cons

Although stockholders are not involved, it still takes a tremendous amount of time to make 'policy' type changes eventhough other actions occur at the flick of a switch

Advice to Management

Be more open with information/goals/future plans so that employees can help work toward the goals.

Conde can be cold, but they have a lot of opportunities.

Former Employee - Fashion Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Fashion Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

They are a special company. They are privately owned, and this aspect provides many benefits. There are a lot of career opportunities. If you are ready and good enough to move up another step in the publishing world, they could move you to a different magazine in order to continue the challange. When my coworker was ready to becoma an Associate Publisher, they moved her from Vanity Fair to Vogue. She is so happy in her new position.

Cons

It had a very cold, bitter atmosphere. My supervisors seemed misserable. One girl would always be crying or having a nervous breakdown. But on the other hand, there were assistants that could handle themselves... Although they weren't exactly happy either.

Advice to Management

I would tell senior management to be aware of their subordinates. Fashion and publishing are two industries in which the newbies shoot straight up in no time.