Confusing..new requirements all the time without additional compensation.

Former Employee - Online Teacher  in  Baltimore, MD
Former Employee - Online Teacher in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Connections Academy

Pros

Working from home is wonderful. Making connections with students all over the country is a treat.

Cons

The job kept requiring more and more without additional compensation. I was required to attend an online meeting every week, then required to give a live lesson to each of my classes every month and I taught 9 different grade levels. That meant writing and delivering 9 live lessons a month without any additional compensation.

If you want curriculum writers you should hire them in house. Don't keep hiring freelancers to write a little here and a little there.

Other Reviews for Connections Academy

There are many good teachers who have to struggle with bad management, poor morale.

Former Employee - Secondary Teacher  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Secondary Teacher in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Connections Academy

Pros

The parents and students are a good group to work with. Most of the parents are involved and caring. They mostly cooperate with teachers to help the students succeed. The office building is nice and new. The teachers are highly qualified and good as colleagues. You can work from home easily, as most everything is done on line or on the phone.

Cons

There is a new principal who is just learning the ropes and often seems surprised by some typical problems that occur during the course of the school year. There is a tendency to micromanage new teachers. You teach one or two online lessons a week, which limits the amount of time you spend with the students in the virtual classroom. The job is full of clerical duties, such as making records of which students attended the online lessons, which students have completed their Personal Learning Plans (teachers phone them four times a year and go over the same PLP checklist for each of the 40 home room students) and which students (and parents) have completed the online training material.

I like working for CA because it provides an excellent academic experience for children who are taught at home.

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher  in  White City, OR
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in White City, OR

I have been working at Connections Academy

Pros

First in importance to me is children can be taught at home with quality curriculum and highly qualified teacher assessment and support. I enjoy working with families who have chosen to provide their children with the best free public education venue. Parents know their children best and it is my priviledge to support and encourage children learning with their learning coach, who knows them best, by their side. Each child as their own personal aide. Secondly, I am able to work from home. I greatly appreciate the quality of the technology which delivers this wonderful learning managment system.

Cons

The downside to Connections Academy is for students who are really slow processors and or have behavioral issues which get in the way of them getting enough work completed.

I would like to see an alternative format developed for general ed and special ed children who need a much slower pace. I would like to see a bare bones curriculum format to streamline for those children who come to Connections from traditional brick and mortar settings when they are very deficient in basic reading, writing, and math skills because they spent so much time out of the room because of behavior related issues. It would also be helpful to have a counselor available to work with families who are having a hard time getting their children's behavior under control so the time for school is well spent. As online teachers, we are very limited in these situations. In my opinion, I feel children who flourish in Connections Academy are those who are average to normal intelligence, or have parents and or learning coaches who are able to motivate their children to be engaged learners.

There are newer employer reviews for Connections Academy.

Worked for Connections Academy? Contribute to the Community!