I like working for CA because it provides an excellent academic experience for children who are taught at home.

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher  in  White City, OR
Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in White City, OR

I have been working at Connections Academy

Pros

First in importance to me is children can be taught at home with quality curriculum and highly qualified teacher assessment and support. I enjoy working with families who have chosen to provide their children with the best free public education venue. Parents know their children best and it is my priviledge to support and encourage children learning with their learning coach, who knows them best, by their side. Each child as their own personal aide. Secondly, I am able to work from home. I greatly appreciate the quality of the technology which delivers this wonderful learning managment system.

Cons

The downside to Connections Academy is for students who are really slow processors and or have behavioral issues which get in the way of them getting enough work completed.

I would like to see an alternative format developed for general ed and special ed children who need a much slower pace. I would like to see a bare bones curriculum format to streamline for those children who come to Connections from traditional brick and mortar settings when they are very deficient in basic reading, writing, and math skills because they spent so much time out of the room because of behavior related issues. It would also be helpful to have a counselor available to work with families who are having a hard time getting their children's behavior under control so the time for school is well spent. As online teachers, we are very limited in these situations. In my opinion, I feel children who flourish in Connections Academy are those who are average to normal intelligence, or have parents and or learning coaches who are able to motivate their children to be engaged learners.

Other Reviews for Connections Academy

A much different experience than what i was expecting

Current Employee - Secondary Teacher  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Secondary Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Connections Academy

Pros

More time to teach, spend less disciplining. Can work from home.

Cons

Not a lot of interaction between office staff and work from home staff. We are paid less than other teachers in our area. Also our medical insurance is horrid. We do not get the same coverage as other teachers.

Get better insurance coverage for your teachers. When we are at field trips we end up sick due to not being around them as often as we use to, better insurance will help keep us healthy and at work. Also raise our pay

Not horrible, but a lot of room for improvement

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor I
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor I

I worked at Connections Academy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very thorough training, ongoing training
    A very supportive team that earnestly helps each person grow
    Fantastic coworkers who are personable, fun, and friendly
    Informal social events organized by fellow coworkers outside of work
    Not a bad place if a person is just starting out and/or would like a more rigid/structured schedule

Cons

Very inflexible hours
    Unpaid overtime is expected outside of busy season
    Petty emails sent out by lower management meant to shame employees for very mundane things
    Policy changes are abrupt and sometimes contradict previous policies
    The company boasts a lot of opportunities for growth, but I didn't really experience that firsthand - it could still be true, but I really only found opportunities for growth outside of the company
    The work experience gained is not very applicable to anything else (it's esoteric), I didn't gain any new skills or relevant experience (this is all document management and call center work)

1. Rather than try to force employees to work unpaid overtime, which none are willing to actually do, offer flex time. It will improve the quality of service for parents who wait until the last minute to call in, and will improve morale quite a lot.
    2. Not everyone is needed in the phone queue outside of busy season, so offer more flexible hours in the fall, winter, and spring.
    3. Get more organized when it comes to announcing changes in policies. The fact that basic policies as to what information can and cannot be shared with certain callers change so regularly keeps even the most competent employees totally confused as to what to tell parents on the phone.
    4. Be honest about this job and don't sell it as something it's not - this is a call center job. Some people want that kind of work, some do not. A lot of people in this job feel lied to because that was not shared with them honestly from the beginning and having that kind of sentiment is not a good way to foster morale in the work place.

There are newer employer reviews for Connections Academy.

Worked for Connections Academy? Contribute to the Community!