ConocoPhillips

www.conocophillips.com
  www.conocophillips.com
There are newer employer reviews for ConocoPhillips

Good

Current Employee - Supply Chain Management Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
Current Employee - Supply Chain Management Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at ConocoPhillips full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay - comparable to other Oil & Gas Companies in Calgary
Great benefits - medical, health spending account, personal developement account
Good culture - fun events for team building, many charity events
Amazing senior leadership team. Senior VPs and the Canadian President know many staff by name. It speaks volumes when SLT members take the time to chat with all employees, regardless of position.

Cons

Management doesn't always walk the walk when it comes to the core values
It can be difficult to advance (position and salary)
Many entry and intermediate positions have been moved to the US causing disjointed processes and additional work.

Global processes don't always work....use the unique aspects of each country to your advantage instead of trying to make everyone conform to the US way of doing business

321 Other Employee Reviews for ConocoPhillips (View Most Recent)

Good company, lots of training and learning opportunities.

Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at ConocoPhillips full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent internal opportunities, good training.

Cons

Several levels of management. Low budget

A recent personal experience of COP, Aberdeen, from the perspective of a young professional.....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I worked at ConocoPhillips full-time

Pros

Opportunities for further study

Most colleagues were friendly and pleasant enough people to work in a team with.

Strong focus on health and safety

Regular business updates provided to all staff through large Town Hall meetings

Yearly corporate health challenge which helped to improve morale and team spirit around the office.

Nice office location / surroundings - an area in which those who were keen on keeping fit could walk / jog at lunchtimes

Some good perks for all employees i.e. free lunches and access to on-site gym facilities and exercise classes.

Cons

Very poor initial training / handover and induction process on commencing employment with the company. One of the main reasons why I left the company I was employed by prior to starting with ConocoPhillips was that I felt I was not receiving enough guidance, training and development as a new employee and recent graduate. I made this very clear throughout the interview process and was advised that this was nothing to worry about at COP. However, on commencing employment at the company I discovered this to be worse than my previous company had provided and considered myself to be very much thrown in at the deep end and left to my own devices. Further down the line in the role, during a one to one discussion with my supervisor (who had already admitted to a more senior member of my team that the quality of handover and training I had recieved was particularly poor) advised me that they had expected me to "change" and "improve" more about the role than I had done already.

Poor and insensitive feedback process following an internal job interview - after being interviewed by management and subsequently failing to be appointed to an internal vacancy against an external candidate, no automatic feedback was provided to me following the interview process. I recieved an email advising me that I had been unsuccessful, which included a link to the corporate external career website. I then had to ask a total of three times via email for interview feedback before this was eventually provided to me - an entire month after the interview. On receipt of the feedback, there was no suggestions or guidance provided on how to improve my interview performance in the future. Furthermore, there was no mention or explanation of the time lapse between the interview and the feedback meeting. I was only advised of the reason why the external candidate was appointed over myself, which was that the candidate could "inject fresh ideas" into their department and "was from a line of work which the department had regular contact with".

It soon became apparent that I had been given false hope / promises at the onboarding stage regarding my future to make the role with the company more attractive. For example, at the inital interview stage with the company I was advised that there was a very strong chance that a new graduate scheme in my line of work which involved some travel to the USA was in the pipeline and was likely to be started within one year of myself accepting an offer with the company. However, the scheme never materialised and I did not recieve any update regarding the progress of the scheme during my two plus years in the role.

Negative staff morale and a relatively tense atmosphere in general. However, morale levels varied between departments and some departments and teams seemed to have a more positive and enthusiastic disposition than others.

I felt that there was a culture which made it very difficult for employees to admit that their workload was too large to cope with or that they were struggling with something in particular for fear of being considered weaker in comparison to others or not committed enough to their jobs. This tended to lead to a number of co-workers having to work through lunch hours on a regular basis, stay later in the evening or go into work at the weekends.

A large number of the supervisory / leadership team were unapproachable and aloof personalities, many appeared to be miserable in their jobs and lacked effective communication and interpersonal skills.

Generally cliquey and uninviting office environment (particularly for a new employee) and could take a good while for someone new to settle in. However, again the severity of this differed between areas of the company and it appeared to be down to the luck as to what type of personalities were in your team or department.

More emphasis placed on induction and training of new employees and recent graduates would improve individual and company performance and prevent people leaving earlier than expected as a result of dashed expectations.

Improvement to the feedback process following an internal interview to make it more professional, useful for the future and less insensitive for the internal candidate.

The supervisory and management team need to be careful that they are "practicing what they preach" - after one of my negative experiences involving a potential internal move described above, the same interviewer stood up infront of a large company meeting a few weeks later and enforced the message to everyone that feedback was important, describing it as being "a gift" and was something which all employees should be asking their immediate supervisors for on a regular basis!

Greater focus on some of the corporate "SPIRIT" values that the company prides itself on through the corporate website to prevent it from appearing to be just a PR tool.

Regular team building activities and encouraging more honest and open dialogue regarding work content and work load between supervisor and subordinates may improve overall morale and improve work / life balance for everyone.

There are newer employer reviews for ConocoPhillips