ConocoPhillips

www.conocophillips.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for ConocoPhillips

Disappointing. The priorities are yourself, your team, the company - in that order. Doesn't foster teamwork.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at ConocoPhillips

Pros

Good salary and benefits compared to other major oil companies (except Exxon)

Cons

Way too policitical. Politics is everywhere, but it is heightened at COP. Also, heirarchy is supreme. Mid-level managers can be incompetent. Management is ineffecient. Power is concentrated in the hands of a few with no opportunity to impact decision-making.

337 Other Employee Reviews for ConocoPhillips (View Most Recent)

Relatively easy-going work environment, but unclear career path for software developers

Current Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX

I have been working at ConocoPhillips

Pros

A relatively generous benefits package that includes company matched contributions plus an semiannual contributions of company stock (alot) that you can immediately transfer to any other fund vanguard has. An annual bonus that usually averages around 8% (also depends on company performance) of your gross annual salary, you get your own office, state-of-the-art gym and soccer field with various exercise classes available for free to employees and family, flexible schedule, tuition reimbursement (90%), good work life balance (at least for software guys)

Cons

Groups vary widely from each other and can have managers that are real slave drivers. Luckily, I'm not in one of those groups, but I have heard that for some groups Saturday is just another work day. ConocoPhillips likes to stick with older software platforms and has yet to take the leap to current technologies like GPGPU or even web services. It appears that software we end up supporting/developing has more to do with the person who yells the loudest, rather than what is truly useful or innovative. But, as long as you swim with the current, you'll be fine. Also, the career path for software developers isn't clear at ConocoPhillips, but who cares when you get a sweet benefits package.

Be more proactive about promoting training and going to conferences, even if they aren't directly related to our current work. Alot of times, innovation occurs when ideas are sparked from orthogonally related technologies. The more exposure we have to what's hot in software, the better armed ConocoPhillips will be to compete with the bigger fish that are surely doing this very thing. Also, give us a 4-10 schedule. That would be sweet.

Great benefits, lots of red tape and coporate politics

Current Employee - IT Analyst - Commercial in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Analyst - Commercial in Houston, TX

I have been working at ConocoPhillips

Pros

- Benefits are great
    - Experience opportunities are good
    - Great internal networks

Cons

- Needs more balancing in job vs. salary recieved. They can get away with putting lower level salary grades in a bigger role and not compensating them for the work they are putting in.

Communication between management (all levels) and employees leaves a lot to be desired.

There are newer employer reviews for ConocoPhillips