There are newer employer reviews for Consolidated Graphics

A good starter company if you dont mind long work hours

Current Employee - Associate- LDP in Durham, NC
Current Employee - Associate- LDP in Durham, NC

Pros

Seemed like a great place to start a career for a recent college graduate. They build you from the ground up; you learn the processes of how their products are made and get a hands on approach to the products before you jump into the office work. Everyone I met with was very friendly and seemed more than willing to help out. Also, all the LDP's were also young and recent grads so it made it feel easier to fit in, while the managers were older and experienced, which would help you to learn. Also you have access to the upper managers and president of the company which I also thought was great.

Cons

However, although it had its pro's there were some cons as well. After three days of orientation, I found out a few surprising facts that were not presented before I accepted the job. First, they don't tell you that you will be working 10 hour days when you start the first phase with only a half hour lunch break. You start at 7 and go all the way until 5, which seems really extreme. Next, at least at the location I was at, they required you to drive to another city that was 170 mile round trip daily for a month straight. They will reimburse you or offer to pay for you to sleep in a motel. The only kind of travel they mentioned were a few weekend trips throughout the year to Texas. I didn't feel like I signed up for a total of 13 hour days. So, a con is crazy long hours. They also require the LDP's to work during the busy season sometimes 7 days a week even with even longer hours, so beware. They told us that some of the workers in the factory would be upset by the LDP's because we were paid more, when some of the managers didn't even have the opportunity for raises in the last few years. Lastly, the benefits you receive aren't all that great. They say they give you a 401 K plan but they don't match anything. So all of those things combined were deal breakers for me.

Advice to Management

Be upfront with your future hires about the travel and hours that are expected of them. Keep being positive and open and willing to help because that is something I would have appreciated if I had stayed there.

Other Employee Reviews for Consolidated Graphics

Work Hard for not a lot

Current Employee - Associate- LDP in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Associate- LDP in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Has a huge upside for growth if you can manage to stay above water and work hard for 3-4 years for not a lot of pay. Each company within CGX is different

Cons

A ton of work Not very good pay Doesn't match 401k

Advice to Management

Look to the younger generation for some bright and radical ideas

if your not in the LDP program, company does not care about you -- employees took a 10% pay cut in last 3yrs no raises!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

was a very good company till about 2000-2004 -- great technology in the printing industry.

Cons

LDP program became main focus __ cheap labor 7000.00 a year employee tax credit from the government to hire young collage grads hourly employees are treated like they are inferior

Advice to Management

wake up -- soon all the talented people will be gone