Very Painful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milwaukee, WI
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you want to relocate to a different part of the country, you may have the opportunity to do so in the LDP program
Some locations (plants) appreciate associates and treat you well most do not. I remember hearing that one of the Colorado locations had a great group.

Cons

You are asked to do things with little to no training and zero support from management. Just "figure it out and leave me alone" seemed to be the attitude. Apparently I should have realized that it is a "leadership development program" and not a "Management Training program". This is an important distinction because this means you will be thrown into the fire without proper training and held completely responsible.

EXTREMELY high turnover. I cannot stress this enough. When I was recruited for the LDP there were 6 other associates at my operating plant... When I left a year later I was the most veteran associate and I had seen a total of 8 associates leave the company. Most of them either did not have a job lined up or just grabbed whatever job they could to get out. I did not see one associate graduate the program.

They will try to schmooze you during the interview process. They might say "you will have all of these different opportunities to stand out and be a leader" and "This program is not for everyone, we are only looking for the best and brightest" What they are really looking for is someone who will give them 60 hours a week on a minimal salary helping operate an extremely under-qualified and understaffed production facility. They want someone that they can plug into every miserable position they have that comes up. For example: I knew someone who got stuck as a receiving clerk for 5 months. I knew someone who was asked to work 12 hours per day 7 days per week as the night shift overseeing the assembly line. That was their first five weeks and they quit shortly after. I mean... Why go to college if you just want to work you way from the ground up in a factory environment ? Unless you are a print major I honestly do not see the point in this program. It is just a ploy set up by the finance department and upper management as a way to cut costs and employ a more educated workforce at the ground level. The bottom line is they know what you are going to do is miserable and that you have about a 90% chance of leaving their company in the next 3 years.

Just a horrible experience

Just be honest with these students you are recruiting into the program. Don't tell them that they are going to get tremendous opportunities to step up and show their leadership when you then turn around and stick them into a role such as receiving clerk for 5 months.

Other Reviews for Consolidated Graphics

DONT GO HERE

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is helpful i enjoy working here but some times workload is too much

Cons

bad pay and benefits, everyone get out when they get better offer

increase pay

YOU have to carve your own path

Current Employee - Leadership Development Program Associate  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Leadership Development Program Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Leadership opportunities from the get-go. (Filled in for a manager who was out for a month after working here for 3 months)
    - Overall, good company moral (at the individual company in Denver), for CGX, it seems to be OK-- everyone will always gripe.
    - Willing to train you for 3 years
    - Push you to set goals and then expect you to meet them (this is where YOU carve your path)
    - Get to deal with high-profile clients at an Associate level

Cons

- Long(er) hours -- 9/10 hour days
    - Mediocre pay & benefits (blame corporate, not the operating company)
    - If you want bigger, better, positions, you'll probably have to move

For the operating company, try to keep morale up, even after layoffs-- participate in activities outside of work. Showing 'us' that you're one of 'us' goes a long way.
    For Joe Davis-- work on LDP associate retention. While the LDP is your baby, heavy recruiting and hiring 8 new people in a year makes it difficult. It makes operations resent the LDP as well as higher turnover for associates. Most of us can get jobs in other fields, but our operating company MAKES us want to stay-- until we aren't challenged everyday and get bored, then it's time to pack our bags and move on.

There are newer employer reviews for Consolidated Graphics.

Worked for Consolidated Graphics? Contribute to the Community!