There are newer employer reviews for Consolidated Graphics

Hard work paid off for me, but doesn't for everyone

Former Employee - Purchasing in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Purchasing in Houston, TX

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Advancement is available. My experience was positive because I was given flexibility and was able to implement my own plans. I got some great experience, but I don't think everyone feels the same way. In many positions if you are just looking for a job, it's fine. If you are looking for a career, you may need to look elsewhere if you aren't confident in your direct supervisor.

Cons

Employee morale is a complete non-issue for management. The benefits are a joke - ask for more money to compensate, unless you can be on your spouse's plan. Upper management is very mercurial and doesn't communicate well with the rank and file. Extra hours are the norm for many positions.

Advice to Management

I really doubt that the upper management looks at sites like this for advice.

reviews filtered by

There are upsides and downsides

Former Employee - Associate- LDP in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate- LDP in Houston, TX

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

HR at corporate works with those that want to excel within the company, but you have to initiate. Plenty of opportunities to move. HR has a great team. Chance to play many different roles if you want.

Cons

Horrible pay. Horrible benefits. Depending on your location, it can be an absolute miserable experience, with miserable people who are usually miserable due to CGX policies and pay cuts. Dying industry.

Advice to Management

I understand what you're doing with the LDP associates - it makes sense. You're also pretty good at shelling out your BS as I know most of the people in my class drank your kool-aid. So, I can't really blame you for doing what you've done in a down economy and a shrinking industry. However, I've been keeping track of CGX for the past 4 years and it's been doing fairly well. I think it's about time you start going for quality hires rather than quantity.

2. Learn a lot ..plenty of opportunity..Cheap

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time

Pros

Gain plenty of knowledge
    Peers are excellent to work with
    Opportunity to get experience for recent graduate
    Friendly work environment
    Good promotion opportunity (mainly due to high turnover)

Cons

Horrible benefits (can get cheaper plan outside of company)

High turnover (Don't get attached to working with same people b/c they'll be gone after less than year)

pay scale all over the place for same positions (You may be a better worker but may make 8k less than a new employee that don't know squat)

they pay who the want to pay good.

Bonuses (they don't tell you that only certain people at the company get them).....

Advice to Management

Have a set pay scale and/or pay people on experience and education and not the lowest you think you can get them on for....once a person finds out somebody doing the same job is making 8-10k less and year