Constant Contact

www.constantcontact.com
  www.constantcontact.com
There are newer employer reviews for Constant Contact

Nightmare of micromanagement and corporate suck-ups

Current Employee - Direct Sales in Loveland, CO
Current Employee - Direct Sales in Loveland, CO

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with (management excluded.)

Cons

When I started there, this was a fun place to work and had decent pay. After (many) management changes, and hiring of new managers, the work atmosphere changed drastically. Departments were rearranged needlessly. Sales goals and target call time were restructured so that not many were able to achieve them. The sales organization is a complete revolving door. There are WAY to many managers in all departments and most have no idea how to answer a question a rookie may ask them. the patent reply to all questions asked is "I'll get back to you about that." Don't hold your breath. Sales management is clueless. Micromanagement has gotten to the point that you need to notify a team lead when you are using the restroom, going to lunch, etc. And they they think they are doing you a favor by bringing in lunch (frequently) just to keep you at your desk. (hope you like pizza.) Stress levels I cannot put into words. Customer service is hurting because of the call expectations put on the sales team as well. Stock values fluctuate wildly although they seem to be plumetting right now. If you are considering a job here, you can do a lot better.

Fire middle management and get back to your core values

118 Other Employee Reviews for Constant Contact (View Most Recent)

OK, Depends on manager and where you work in the company

Current Employee - Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact

Pros

* great salary and benefits
    * reasonable balance of work and life
    * occasional food (but always pizza, chinese, sandwiches - same rotation)
    * free soft drinks and cheap vending machine (50 cents)

Cons

* disruptive prioritizing - changes hourly and sometimes more often
    * micromanaging
    * missing standards - software, coding, operations
    * missing a layer of effective management to demand standards
    * not consulted but told how to implement solutions - not valued as a professional (unless you happen to be an "in" person)

* stop coddling your developers and looking for "collaboration"
    * demand standards and simplify the codebase
    * A/B testing - stop assuming you know what your customers want

Agile, fun, challenging development culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact

Pros

I felt compelled to add my positive review of the company as the quantity of negative reviews do not reflect what I see every day. I'm in development and I see a culture that has embraced agile development, is taking advantage of open source technologies, gets its developers the tools they need (macs, video conferencing equipment), encourages personal development (conferences, tuition reimbursement, books), hires selectively and does the best they can to balance new feature development with fixing defects and actively working on technical debt. I've worked at more than a half-dozen software companies and this is one of the best.

The company is exceptional at communicating information and trusting employees to keep it confidential.

Yes there is free soda and a lot of catered meals. But that's not what matters. Working with smart, fun people who are valued and who are doing work that matters is what makes me happy.

Cons

There are a LOT of meetings. And a LOT of email. Still trying to figure out the best way to accomplish what I need to accomplish without being in, or calling, so many meetings.

There are more layers of senior management than I would expect at a company of this size.

Question whether you really need that many layers of management.
    Maybe the experience in development is different than the other groups so look in to the feedback coming from those groups.

There are newer employer reviews for Constant Contact