There are newer employer reviews for Constant Contact

Nightmare of micromanagement and corporate suck-ups

Current Employee - Direct Sales in Loveland, CO
Current Employee - Direct Sales in Loveland, CO

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with (management excluded.)

Cons

When I started there, this was a fun place to work and had decent pay. After (many) management changes, and hiring of new managers, the work atmosphere changed drastically. Departments were rearranged needlessly. Sales goals and target call time were restructured so that not many were able to achieve them. The sales organization is a complete revolving door. There are WAY to many managers in all departments and most have no idea how to answer a question a rookie may ask them. the patent reply to all questions asked is "I'll get back to you about that." Don't hold your breath. Sales management is clueless. Micromanagement has gotten to the point that you need to notify a team lead when you are using the restroom, going to lunch, etc. And they they think they are doing you a favor by bringing in lunch (frequently) just to keep you at your desk. (hope you like pizza.) Stress levels I cannot put into words. Customer service is hurting because of the call expectations put on the sales team as well. Stock values fluctuate wildly although they seem to be plumetting right now. If you are considering a job here, you can do a lot better.

Advice to Management

Fire middle management and get back to your core values

Other Employee Reviews for Constant Contact

Agile, fun, challenging development culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Pros

I felt compelled to add my positive review of the company as the quantity of negative reviews do not reflect what I see every day. I'm in development and I see a culture that has embraced agile development, is taking advantage of open source technologies, gets its developers the tools they need (macs, video conferencing equipment), encourages personal development (conferences, tuition reimbursement, books), hires selectively and does the best they can to balance new feature development with fixing defects and actively working on technical debt. I've worked at more than a half-dozen software companies and this is one of the best. The company is exceptional at communicating information and trusting employees to keep it confidential. Yes there is free soda and a lot of catered meals. But that's not what matters. Working with smart, fun people who are valued and who are doing work that matters is what makes me happy.

Cons

There are a LOT of meetings. And a LOT of email. Still trying to figure out the best way to accomplish what I need to accomplish without being in, or calling, so many meetings. There are more layers of senior management than I would expect at a company of this size.

Advice to Management

Question whether you really need that many layers of management. Maybe the experience in development is different than the other groups so look in to the feedback coming from those groups.

Too many incompetent managers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Pros

Free beverages, sometimes food, CEO, benefits, pay is higher for some jobs that could exist at other companies

Cons

I no longer work in the customer support level but I can completely agree with the other reviews here about getting promoted. You do have to be a favorite for promotion consideration or simply to do the better side projects. The only reason free soda and food is given is to keep people happy in their miserable job. The only thing the company has going for them is the customer support, they have to do everything and anything for a customer, they're bonuses are based on it, and when calls are reviewed they get marked off if in hindsight something could have been done. The company is growing and all the things that customer support has to do will become way too burdensome to keep the high level of customer and employee satisfaction. The employees in customer support are treated the worst, not only are they never allowed to participate in company meetings or events, they are slaves to the phone queue. Anyone who does not work in support does "love their job", and the employees in support have to watch as everyone else in the company is involved and having fun. There are way way way too many managers. The CEO does seem to care about all employees, she was upset recently that the employee satisfaction scores were down, but that is because the company is growing, and there are too many managers, and now there are too many supervisors below them that do the work that the managers barely have the ability to do. The managers in support will try and do anything they can to not take escalations or work on requests from the people they manage. HR always sides with management before even listening to the employee or having any compassion. The managers are so far removed from the product they can't even answer simple questions from new employees having trouble. The different departments in support don't work collectively either, everyone seems to hate their jobs and it reflects on to others. The managers want you to brown nose and then you can be considered for promotion, its not right. Most used to work together at another company, so it really feels like there is no way to get anywhere, most disheartening.

Advice to Management

There are too many managers, that entire level needs to be removed. The people in support are smart enough to do their jobs with out the managers, especially when they don't help and try their hardest not to take escalations. Gail Goodman is great, but some levels of management need to be cut!