There are newer employer reviews for Constant Contact

Best job ever, back in the day

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun people, lots of activity and energy. Customer centric.

Cons

Didn't manage to keep the good culture as the company grew. Promotion of individuals who would sell their own mothers to get ahead was depressing to those who really cared about the customers and the company.

Advice to Management

Don't let the glib corporate ladder climbers blind you to reality

reviews filtered by

If you are good at what you do, this is not the place to be

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time

Pros

* Some very nice people.
    * Industry average pay.
    * Flexible work-from-home policies, snow days, and the modicum of human decency you expect from a modern software company.
    * Free cookies, soda and pizza just laying around.
    * Attend hip conferences and further your education, if you work in Product Development. (Other departments, not so much.)
    * Decent health benefits, and a HR staff that seems to be making positive changes in policy bit by bit.

Cons

* Unqualified and inexperienced people at many levels.
    * Micromanagement is encouraged and can be seen in all departments.
    * People who are unable to perform their job linger at the company indefinitely.
    * Few product leaders who are concerned with the market or the customer. The good ones do not stick around because management does not understand their role or how to support them.
    * No support for the work of QE or the design teams, who are in a similar boat. They are ignored or disregarded until urgently asked to find or fix mistakes that could have been prevented.
    * Development takes the brunt of poorly managed projects, as work reaches them months or years late (with no consequences), then dev is expected to deliver in the short window remaining. Working nights and weekends isn't uncommon. Schedules are not adjusted until the day of expected release, and there are no project managers at ctct to track progress before work hits development.
    * General inability to do what you were hired for, due to a lack of understanding around your given field, and the assumption that in a start-up everyone does everything.
    * Assumption that company is a giant 1500+ person start-up, and "process" is a bad word that only grown-up companies use.
    * Idea that waterfall = evil and agile = good because it means no project planning is required. You just build stuff, throw it on the wall, and see what sticks.
    * Culture... The company has bent over backwards to attract people who seem hip and cool without much concern for skill level. This salves aging executive egos - they want to feel part of a young hip start-up.
    * The technology follows the lines of the culture. Make it pretty, make it slick. Whether or not it can be used is an afterthought.
    * Lot of stress and hoopla around "innovating" and flying by the seat of your pants. Innovation is one of the few ways things happen here, but innovations are frequently ideas people had in the shower that morning, or major initiatives the company should have completed years ago.
    * There are no analytics or tracking for most of the products. Google Analytics is being used to capture a high level page view report, utterly insufficient for a complex product suite. Support calls and Google ultimately determine the direction of the product, rather than data or research.
    * Major shifts in management, new boss every few months syndrome. Re-orgs are so frequent they begin to go unnoticed.
    * Politics are the way everything flows and functions at this company. You have to be either the loudest, strongest personality in the room or highly political to be at all effective. There is no process for most workers to simply get their jobs done.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on the perks and take a hard look at what your employees need to perform their jobs effectively.

Hire people who have actual domain knowledge and are qualified to hold that position in a mid- to large-size company. The company cannot afford more start-up thinking. Learn how bigger companies operate from those who have worked in them. Also, some very nice, very lost people exist in highly visible, key roles throughout the org. It's time to admit these folks need training to fill the shoes they were hired for, or promoted into - or, let. them. go.

Hold the organization accountable for delivering products on schedule. Have a schedule. Make the schedule realistic by learning to define work and prioritize it. Hire professionals who know how to track projects and coordinate work across disciplines and across departments. Scrum Masters only manage *development* schedules (project teams consist of more than just developers, fyi). Track the success of your products and projects! Hold product managers accountable for the success/failure of their projects once they are released; reward them for producing quality work. Break up the silos in the organization. Our disparate suite of tools is a direct reflection of the shattered factions within product development.

At the -very- highest level, grok that being a "support organization" is not the way to attract or keep customers. Fabulous customer support is certainly an advantage, but we must do a better job of understanding the market and the customers, so that we don't lean on support for basic tasks like navigating our tools. Our products have so much unrealized potential, our customers are so forgiving, and in return we can't make life a little easier for them? C'mon...

They USE to care about customers and Employees, now they struggle to care for their customers

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Loveland, CO

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free drinks, contests, other people I worked with were fun. When I first started there it was an awesome fun place to work!

Cons

Corporate greed took over and it's no longer fun
    Micro management
    Losing top talent b/c they are a call center
    lack of coaching for customers b/c they just want us to get the credit card and shove them to support
    Training struggles to be relevant and know our customer base
    Employees voice their dissatisfaction but it falls on deaf ears
    Suck ups make it further than those who want to do the right thing

Advice to Management

You may not think so, but your sales staff has great insights. Stop worrying about the stock price, it sucks, start figuring out how to bring the customers back to a happy level and the stock price will follow.
    Loosen up on the corporate jargon and "just because I said so" and your employees will respect you again. Give respect to your employees, don't just demand it. Stop promoting people who kiss up the most, we all saw it.

I believe it can come back to where it was 3 and 4 years ago, just because you grow does not mean it shouldn't be fun. Look at Google/Facebook who are giants yet Facebook is #1 employer.

There are newer employer reviews for Constant Contact