Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

www.consumerfinance.gov
Engaged Employer

Wouldn't Imagine Working for Any Other Federal Agency

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the best and brightest people I've ever had the chance to work with. The people here are top notch, truly collaborative, and amazingly passionate about the impact they're having on the lives of everyday Americans. Coming from the private sector into public service, the CFPB created an environment that was full of open arms. Someone is always willing to help, and there's an awesome appreciation for new and diverse perspectives. I've grown so much professionally in just a short period of time.

Cons

It's the federal government, so it can be a bit wonky, lot's of new rules to learn. No frills on the office space (good for tax payers!), but totally worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Focus on the long game, and don't allow the winds of politics distract you from the prize!

Other Employee Reviews for Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

1. Innovative Federal Agency With An Important Mission

Pros

A new (and 21st century) agency with a great mission: to educate and protect the American consumer. The talent, dedication, and passion of ALL employees at CFPB provides a tremendous working environment. No matter what your role is, you will find the opportunity to be innovative and establish a sound market that works for consumers. CFPB is the next big leader in public service.

Cons

Coming from the private sector, I was accustomed to a fast pace environment. While we are a few notches above many other agencies, we encompass the same hurdles when implementing change.

2. Do work that matters.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CFPB is a rarity in the public sector: a newly created agency in a critical sector of the economy, charged with protecting consumers. CFPB offers unparalleled opportunity to contribute in a meaningful way to helping others. I've never worked with smarter, more capable people, many of whom share my deep commitment to the bureau's mission.

Cons

As a new agency, there are still a lot of processes being built. One side effect of working with brilliant people is that they can have strong opinions if they disagree, and continuing to refine role clarity and "swim lanes" can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep prioritizing the culture and steadily building processes and structures that help people to do their jobs; avoid the temptation to become a traditional bureaucracy.