There are newer employer reviews for Consumer Reports

Fortunate to enjoy my work and am respected, but there are issues here

Current Employee - Content Creation Group in Yonkers, NY
Current Employee - Content Creation Group in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some perks, benefits (time off, healthcare costs, work hours), relatively relaxed working environment, company recognizes need to fix problems and is trying.

Cons

Piss-poor financial compensation for middle management; execs say they are open to hearing from employees, but they don't want to hear ANYTHING that goes against their plan; glacier-like movement on fixing website ills; union environment (too much overpaid dead wood that can't be fired); more gripers than hard workers.

You need to do actually listen to the concerns of people. Too many meetings and "training" sessions; let us do our jobs. Upgrade computers!!

42 Other Employee Reviews for Consumer Reports (View Most Recent)

My experience: Insane work hours, good benefits, senior management out-of-touch.

Former Employee - Managing Editor in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Editor in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Consumer Reports full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work. Friendly co-workers. Onsite fitness center. Good benefits.

Cons

Senior management out of touch. Needed information not shared with the rest of employees. Insane work hours (often 60 hours a week, uncompensated if you're in management). Little to no recognition by senior management.

Be more in touch with employees. Share information essential to the performance of their jobs. Acknowledge employees for job well done.

Incredible mission and culture negatively impacted by loss of tech talent and HR issues.

I worked at Consumer Reports as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Ethical mission, wonderfully maintained up by research, survey, and testing staff. Advocacy teams are second-to-none. Unique opportunities should abound here.

Cons

Major politics in HR. Work/life balance under attack due to new approach to Talent Acquisition function. Major loss of technology personnel.

Accelerate opening NYC technology center. Revert Talent Acquisition approach to be less politics-focused, more ethical, more customer-service oriented, as it used to be.

There are newer employer reviews for Consumer Reports