Consumer Reports

There are newer employer reviews for Consumer Reports

Lost its way

Current Employee - Manager in Yonkers, NY
Current Employee - Manager in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company has a great mission--to inform and protect consumers by providing ratings of products and services and working for a safe marketplace. In general the employees are on board with the mission and feel like they're helping consumers. On-site gym is nice.

Cons

In addition to the endless rounds of layoffs, management does not seem to have a plan going forward to resuscitate the business. Laying off people will not solve the problem--you need to add other revenue streams.

44 Other Employee Reviews for Consumer Reports (View Most Recent)

Fortunate to enjoy my work and am respected, but there are issues here

Current Employee - Content Creation Group in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Content Creation Group in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some perks, benefits (time off, healthcare costs, work hours), relatively relaxed working environment, company recognizes need to fix problems and is trying.

Cons

Piss-poor financial compensation for middle management; execs say they are open to hearing from employees, but they don't want to hear ANYTHING that goes against their plan; glacier-like movement on fixing website ills; union environment (too much overpaid dead wood that can't be fired); more gripers than hard workers.

You need to do actually listen to the concerns of people. Too many meetings and "training" sessions; let us do our jobs. Upgrade computers!!

My experience: Insane work hours, good benefits, senior management out-of-touch.

Former Employee - Managing Editor in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Editor in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Consumer Reports full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work. Friendly co-workers. Onsite fitness center. Good benefits.

Cons

Senior management out of touch. Needed information not shared with the rest of employees. Insane work hours (often 60 hours a week, uncompensated if you're in management). Little to no recognition by senior management.

Be more in touch with employees. Share information essential to the performance of their jobs. Acknowledge employees for job well done.

There are newer employer reviews for Consumer Reports