Consumer Reports

There are newer employer reviews for Consumer Reports

So sad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The mission and the people who work there. I still have hope for CR, but perhaps not during my tenure there.

Cons

poor morale, coldness of some senior leaders who truly don't care about the staff. Recent reorganization was poorly executed. Some changes were drastic and not thought through.

Walk the talk when it comes to trust, civility and respect. Start from within and gain back trust of the staff.

44 Other Employee Reviews for Consumer Reports (View Most Recent)

Times they are a'changin.

Current Employee - Editorial in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Editorial in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent mission, nonprofit, important service to consumers

Cons

Clueless management, flailing about for a solution to a changing industry

This place is beyond help

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

* Dedicated and talented tech and editorial personnel.
    * On-site cafeteria is very nice.
    * Great history.
    * Sprawling campus.
    * Good benefits packages.

Cons

* Employees are terrified and morale is poor. People are constantly worried that they are going to be laid off, fired, or mysteriously resign.
    * Managers are constantly saying that they want a younger image, which makes older employees feel uncomfortable and unwanted.
    * Millenials are treated differently than older employees under the same circumstances.
    * Several long-time, very qualified employees are passed over for promotions that they you applied for, while far less qualified, inexperienced people are hired for the job.
    * Long-time employees have noted that, after getting great reviews for many years, they're suddenly get negative performance reviews and write-ups. Some former employees say they have even been fired because of these new poor reviews.
    * Human Resources has become the central focus of managment and is is constantly tinkering with compliance and regulation.
    * Organizational revenue and reputation are both dubious. Execs like to say they they're righting the ship, but they have yet to convince the employees that they're headed in the right direction. If Consumer Reports were publicly traded, I'd short their stock.
    * Recently tightening up and new processes makes work becomes orderly and boring. This is no place visionaries whose capabilities can shake things up and reset the organization's course.
    * There is a cheap veneer of employee satisfaction that the organization tries to portray. Managers are superficially nice and periodically pretend to be interested in employees as people. These employees can count on birthday-cake celebrations and shallow conversations about what their hobbies are outside of work.

Management could care less what I have to say, so I'm directing my comments to the board of directors:

An unfortuante shortcoming of non-profit boards is that they're not financially vested in the organization and therefore are not as willing to shake-up management. Because if this were a publicly-shared corporation and they were shareholders, CR's problems would have been fixed by now.

Board members need to be aware of the everday failures and machinations of Consumer Reports upper managment. We need board members to have their feet on campus more often. They have to observe day-to-day operations.

There are newer employer reviews for Consumer Reports