Consumer Reports

www.consumerreports.org
  www.consumerreports.org
There are newer employer reviews for Consumer Reports

A great legacy that's struggling

Current Employee - Editor in Yonkers, NY
Current Employee - Editor in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, passionate people are the norm here, with a few notable exceptions. CR is serious about its consumer advocacy mission. And it's great to work for a non-profit that doesn't have to compromise its principles for advertisers.

Cons

Since the company realized that it had to join the digital age and attract readers younger than 65, there's been a growing culture of fear among long-term staffers. And new management has engendered even more general anxiety by seemingly randomly laying off people and "reorganizing" to no obvious gain. If they have a master plan, no one can see it but them. But things have calmed down slightly of late, and the boat may be righting itself. Hopefully it doesn't sink.

If you really want to retain at least some of your talented employees, stop asking for more more more with no compensation, and promote someone in "content development" once in a while.

44 Other Employee Reviews for Consumer Reports (View Most Recent)

Huge Changes Underway

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love the mission of the company and I love working for a non-profit. We have some really great, super smart longstanding employees as well as some new hires that have really raised the bar. We have just had our best year financially in quite some time, which has been really exciting. We are revamping the look and feel of the magazine and it looks truly amazing, other plans are underway to do the same with our website look and feel. We have upgraded out technology platforms and our general location and facility is really nice. I love coming to work every (well, maybe not every, but most) day and seeing all the changes-we were looking and sounding really tired and sad and its fun to be part of the change.

Cons

I think anytime you have an organization going through change some people can be resistant to it, so we have to deal with that issue. Change is hard but we need to do it to move forward.

It's not all perfect here-I think generally the mid level managers are pretty solid and some of the more senior managers are doing a great job, but some need to improve their ability to work together toward a common goal.

Great company to intern for

I worked at Consumer Reports as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good company culture, people are friendly and understanding

Cons

awkward time for the company with the shift going on, lay-offs seem to be happening each day

There are newer employer reviews for Consumer Reports