There are newer employer reviews for Consumer Reports

A great legacy that's struggling

Current Employee - Editor  in  Yonkers, NY
Current Employee - Editor in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart, passionate people are the norm here, with a few notable exceptions. CR is serious about its consumer advocacy mission. And it's great to work for a non-profit that doesn't have to compromise its principles for advertisers.

Cons

Since the company realized that it had to join the digital age and attract readers younger than 65, there's been a growing culture of fear among long-term staffers. And new management has engendered even more general anxiety by seemingly randomly laying off people and "reorganizing" to no obvious gain. If they have a master plan, no one can see it but them. But things have calmed down slightly of late, and the boat may be righting itself. Hopefully it doesn't sink.

If you really want to retain at least some of your talented employees, stop asking for more more more with no compensation, and promote someone in "content development" once in a while.

38 Other Employee Reviews for Consumer Reports (View Most Recent)

Toxic and Unethical Work Place - You Should be Ashamed CR

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time for more than a year

Pros

The old image of the organization - which doesn't exist in real terms.

Cons

Consumer Reports is a living, breathing, contradiction. To the outside world, the organization pretends to "protect the consumer" but inside the wall of their corporate offices in Yonkers employees are fired without logic while an incompetent, and out of touch, Board and President do nothing to change a declining business and brand.

The good news is that the President who has allowed the culture and organization to slip into a Darwinian hell hole has left the organization and a new President has come in - after a long and difficult search. The new President has a tough challenge ahead including turning around a sinking product line up, lead by new Digital and Product Management and IT staff that has done nothing, with virtually no growth in revenue in years - while maintaining that "Digital and Technology" will save the organization. The company also has very low employee morale given the countless firings. Benefits have eroded, with the removal of a company pension and rising health insurance costs passed to the employee - with a strict divide between Union and "management" staff. The office is in Yonkers which is a nightmare from a commuting perspective. Senior managers work from home and are uninvolved while top Digital Product VP and CIO commute from CA and Washington D.C.

Prospective employees stay far away and don't be fooled, you will loose any skill set you came in with and the organization will fire you when you are no longer needed or a new management team is brought in with a different mindset.

Stick to creating content around ratings and reviews. CR is not a technology company nor a media company.

Snake pit

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Consumer Reports full-time

Pros

Some very talented and good hearted people still work there.

Cons

However, current managers fires those that are good hearted and talented.

I left a place that was inherently diseased, rotting from the inside. It's too bad, because it was also one of the greatest places that I had ever worked, and for a very long time.

I still talk to people who still work there and I understand it hasn't changed whatsoever in the months I've been gone. A colleague of mine, a long time employee who gave everything to Consumer Reports, was fired by her new boss a few short weeks after he arrived on scene (which is not accurate to say as he was rarely in the office, spending a lion's share of his time some 3,000 miles away and mostly unavailable by phone and email).

While she reported directly to him, he never once spoke with her, never even emailed her, in fact he seemed to avoid her. But despite having nothing but good reviews, he fired her, kicked her out on the street, to hire "his own person." A similar thing happened to me. Only once did I meet with my supervisor, who was also brand new here. When I did meet her, she spoke to friends on the phone three times and was busy texting and "liking" Facebook posts. During our 20 minute "get to know you" meeting, she spoke to me a total of perhaps three minutes, if that.

I was never so insulted. I was fired soon after.

It seems that everyone who leaves here either jumps ship or walks the plank. I talk to enough people to know that things have not changed. The only thing that can help this place is to fire several upper level managers who are cruel and clueless and don't add anything to the great legacy of this institution.

Recently this happened to yet another great person who spent a long time there, was a very professional person, and who is irreplaceable. These decisions to fire people, to rip their lives apart aren't made because these are bad employees, or that the company is in layoff mode, it's just cruelty on the part of managers there.

It's a great place to work if you're a snake. But if you're not, watch out: They bite and they're poisonous.

There are newer employer reviews for Consumer Reports

Worked for Consumer Reports? Contribute to the Community!