Solid Company to Work for

Current Employee - Senior Engineer I  in  Jackson, MI
Current Employee - Senior Engineer I in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Consumers Energy

Pros

It is rare for a large company to be headquartered in a small town like Consumers Energy is. Some may see this as a disadvantage because you don't have all the niceties of a large city nearby. However, I find this to be a huge advantage, as I am able to have a stable job at a large company without the hustle & bustle and traffic of a big city. You can live in the country and still have less than a ten-minute commute.

The other great thing about Consumers Energy is the people. There is a friendly culture at Consumers and the people are great to work with.

Cons

If there was one thing I could change, it would be the senior management team. They need to communicate better with the employees. They need to listen better, and to answer--rather than dodge--the difficult questions. There are many instances of management sending mixed messages as well, so they need to step back and make sure they are proving a cohesive message, as well as the actions to back them up.

However, I'm sure most large companies have similar problems and I wouldn't rate Consumers as worse than most other companies.

You have a large pool of talented workers who just want to work hard and be rewarded. Listen to your employees' questions and concerns and give them straightforward answers and actually work toward resolving issues instead of paying lip service to them.

Other Reviews for Consumers Energy

A solid place to work

Current Employee - Consultant II  in  Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - Consultant II in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Consumers Energy

Pros

Stable industry, good pay and benefits. It's a company looking toward the future and being very careful on how they proceed. many job opportunities and their healthy living initiative is really good.

Cons

They tend to promote men over women. They have not yet banned smoking from company property, even though the CEO supports it. There needs to be more of a vehicle to complain about department policies (that may have nothing to do with ethics) and not be retaliated against.

Listen more to your field people and those down the food chain. Take a good hard look at some of your VPs and you might be surprised at what you find.

Happy to be a Consumers employee

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician  in  Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Consumers Energy

Pros

career opportunites, excellent benefits, employee morale

Cons

General public connects their rate increases with anyone they know working for the company hence making employees unpopular at times.

Don't forget the little people.

There are newer employer reviews for Consumers Energy.

Worked for Consumers Energy? Contribute to the Community!