Container Store

www.containerstore.com

Used to be fantastic---truly awful for the last couple of years

Former Employee - Part Time Sales  in  Washington, DC
Former Employee - Part Time Sales in Washington, DC

Pros

High hourly pay rate when you start
Friendly coworkers
Fabulous discount (the best part about working here)
Company culture comes from a good place
Our customers are a lot of fun and very grateful for good customer service

Cons

Poor management structure: Quality of full time staff is inconsistent
As a part timer, the store never hired from within for their full time openings. Frustrating to work so hard and continue to get passed over for a FT position
Everyone is trained in multiple positions, but a shift spent cutting shelving with a bandsaw and lifting very heavy shelving orders earns you the same amount as a shift standing at the cash register.
Staff members trained to process the morning money, which is much more responsibility than someone who only does sales shifts have a pay rate that never reflects the additional responsibility
Inconsistent application of rules and regulations
The "top 100 places to work" survey is something we are "strongly encouraged" to fill out, and each person is required to let management know when they've mailed it in.
The focus on sales has become oppressive. Silly sales role plays at each morning huddle, talking to part timers like we are children.
Tone deafness by management when a full timer is not really meshing well with the Part time staff.
The late and very early (6 am) hours (in a market where the transit system isn't really available very late or very early) are presented as necessary to do to be successful, even though 6 AM shift or an overnight shift may not work for single parents, or etc.
The culture can be seen as somewhat 'cult-like' from the outside of it, I didn't really find it to be like that, but can understand why others may not feel comfortable with it.
After the xmas rush, the seasonal people are let go---but the little dirty secret of the container store is that anyone else who isn't 'working out' can be let go as well at this time, but they don't consider it to be a lay off, stop scheduling you, even if you haven't done anything worthy of being fired, and they will fight your unemployment vigorously.The CEO says that they don't lay people off----EVERY February they play the same game and get rid of people (even long term people who have been there for years) who aren't working out. You are walking on eggshells every year until you have your individual spring meeting to see if you still have a job.

Everyone from other stores says that this location is very different (and not in a good way) get closer to all of the "Lessons from staff meeting" and go back to respecting and listening to your employees. To the CEO, get closer to your individual stores and find out what is going on in the day to day there. The environment is very different than the company culture.

Other reviews for Container Store

I have mixed feelings about working here.

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales/Visual  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales/Visual in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

The best part of working at TCS is my co-workers, particularly the part (prime) timers. I'm not sure whether the overall quality of the employees is merely a reflection of the economic times, or if it's a direct result of the company's hiring policy, but the people who work with me in Scottsdale, AZ are almost uniformly educated, competent and dedicated to performing their jobs at a peak level. The training is excellent and I feel that I have learned quite a bit that I can carry away with me as I advance my career.

Cons

I don't plan to stay much longer in my position at the store because there seems to be no upward mobility. The store's general manager has a very specific type of individual that she promotes, and it's a style that I would have to fake. I was lead to believe, when I first took the job, that the company embraced diversity, not just racial diversity, but diversity in backgrounds, ages, and personalities, but our particular store doesn't reflect this as much as I had been lead to believe. And while I don't think that my time there has been wasted, career wise, I know that I could have gone much further. Also, when I first applied, I was under the impression that the part timers got health insurance. While there's a plan for us, it's minimal.

Spend more time at the stores and talk with the prime timers since they are the people who do most of the work, though I have very strong relationships with most of our full timers and a lot of respect for most of them as well. If you really do care about your employees like the company states, than think about their quality of life. Nobody in America can have much of that without decent benefits!

Great company to work for! The annual list doesn't lie!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

Pros

Wonderful products, they hire great employees, and you may meet some interesting customers most of the time.

Cons

With a such high exceptions of customer service, some customers pretty much expect you to be their personal shopper at times. Not much room for growth for people who start off in sales.

come our on the sales floor more.

There are newer employer reviews for Container Store.

Worked for Container Store? Contribute to the Community!