There are newer employer reviews for Contech Engineered Solutions

Sinking Ship

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Contech Engineered Solutions

Pros

There was a time when contech was a great place to work. It had a great reputation and many loyal customers. There are a few customers out there that view contech's products to be of higher quality and therefore are willing to pay a higher price. Contech is a national company so there are groups set up such as a marketing group, human resources, engineering, etc. that are very helpful at times. Contech tends to give young professionals the opportunity to break into the sales side of the civil engineering industry. Contech has a great core group of sales engineers that have been loyal for a long time.

Cons

Unfortunately, times have changed and contech has not prepared for the changes. Contech insists that the Sales Engineers quote projects above market price in attempt to encourage our competitors to raise their prices which will supposedly lead to more money for all in the end. The problem is that our main competitor sits back and laughs at us and keeps their prices low and takes a higher market share. When management asks why bookings are low, we tell them that our prices are too high and then it's up to us to provide evidence in the form of a quote from our customers which isn't easy to get. The company has recently decided to not match 401k contributions unless we meet our fiscal year target set for the entire company. In other words, if I make my target yet no one else does, I still don't get my match. Management has changed recently for the worse. Pay is significantly lower for some than others. Management does not trust the sales force. The sales force gets blamed for the low bookings when the horrible state of the housing market is truly to blame.

Try to be encouraging instead of distrustful. The blame rolls downhill in this company and stops at the sales engineer's level. It's not our fault contech enjoyed the residential boom and didn't prepare for the future by investing in RCP. The layoffs were unfairly directed at lower level employees when all along, the executive level grew fatter and fatter. How many VP's does one company need?

reviews filtered by

Employees and customers don't like CONTECH.

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Contech Engineered Solutions

Pros

Contech has high name recognition in the industry. We seem to have access to any product to sell. Most people know us.

Cons

We sure fire a lot of people! The company doesn't pay attention to what the customers say about what their needs are or what they want. It's all one way. I get a lot of customers complaining about the way we do business.

We don't call people back in time and customers know we aren't local. They laugh at us when they hear how our Reps pronounce the names of cities.

I don't know much about the products I sell. My customer's can tell I can't help much but I can buy dinner and cut my competitor's price. The customers in my area think I just call a specialist all of the time - they know I only come around to close orders.

Learn about the business not just what you think the company should become. Too much Ingersol Rand and GE influence. Your egos are way to big.

2. previous management was awesome; current (2010) management does not care about employees

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions

Pros

My co-workers were fabulous to work with.

Cons

Upper management are greedy, selfish and do not care about their employees

Appreciate your employees more and show it

There are newer employer reviews for Contech Engineered Solutions