Conversant

www.conversantmedia.com
  www.conversantmedia.com
There are newer employer reviews for Conversant

Disappointing

I have been working at Conversant

Pros

I've been here a few years now and these are the things that have kept me here this long:

1. Colleagues - friendly, not as cut-throat compared as other places I've worked
2. Salary - fair and reasonable
3. Location
4. Standard hours - I personally have not been asked to work unreasonable hours

Cons

* Aside from CJ, few women in senior/executive leadership. It's "A man's world" at the top
* Acquiring more companies does not make you innovative. Slow with change due to bureaucratic red tape and dismissive of new ideas and forward thinkers unless you are a parrot repeating their existing ideas
* Upward career growth is stunted. Stingy with promotions and raises.

All the red tape is slowing innovation and growth. Start promoting based on skill rather than mens club. Need better communication about where the company is headed and what are focus areas for growth. Need to invest more in technology/engineering.

35 Other Employee Reviews for Conversant (View Most Recent)

Be Wary Of Inflated Reviews

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Conversant full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some very good people who are here despite the way they are treated. Many, like myself, are actively interviewing so this assessment may not hold up for long.

Cons

The sheer number of negative reviews has caught the attention of hire-ups. Rather than act on any of the suggestions found in these reviews, it appears they have chosen to write artificially high reviews telling people how Conversant is a place where great opportunity and challenges can be found. That is true only in the sense that you have an opportunity to see how horrible a company can behave and it is a great challenge to figure out why they continue to treat employees in the same sub-standard fashion.

Take the advice of the bad reviews. People are not complaining about the company out of sheer entertainment. There are big problems here. Address them.

Outdated tech stack and disorganized mess

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Conversant full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-some really great ppl (small percentage)
    -salaries are fair for non-sales side
    -good for entry level to gain experience (you'll be overworked from day 1 and be forced to become a Macgyver in online advertising)

Cons

-All decisions run out of CHI (aka Dotomi) - upper management is completely out of touch, unreachable, and many of them seem to suffer from megalomania. Mid and lower management is paralyzed by fear for their own jobs or yet another "re org" (aka promoting yes men out of the original Dotomi crew).
    -General morale is really poor. Very few people are happy and it's a depressing place to work.
    -They have no idea how to make all their business units work together so it's a constant fight internally to do anything.
    -Tech stack is circa 2005 and many features are broken or not relevant
    -The vacation policy put in place in 2013 meant that anyone with seniority or expertise was on vacation for weeks at a time during Q4. A lot of things broke. It was not fun. Poor decision making
    -Benefits are expensive for the size of the company.
    -Slow moving on pretty much everything. The CEO personally approves every req, even down to the intern.
    -Many meetings. Many, many many meetings. Full of people scared to lose their jobs. It's really sad. See: morale statement above.

If the massive turnover isn't prompting massive changes, there's really nothing I could say. I've worked there for a total of 4 years and it was a sad day when I realized how miserable I was because of your attitude, lack of gratitude for the hundreds of people that work long hours to contribute to the company. I realized I have zero interest in making another dollar for the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Conversant