Cook Children's Health Care System

Good place to work.

Current Employee - Medical Techhnologist in Fort Worth, TX
Current Employee - Medical Techhnologist in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Cook Children's Health Care System

Pros

Good employee morale, management cares about the employees. Has work functions like picnics and barbeques. Has given out Wal-Mart gift cards at Christmas the las few years.

Cons

Currently the hospital is under construction. Parking is limited. Not all employees get parking garage access. Not very many security officers

Listen to employees and take their advice on improvements to the hospital. Keep giving out those wal mart gift cards!

36 Other Employee Reviews for Cook Children's Health Care System (View Most Recent)

Cook Children's Medical Center, the best working environment in the healthcare industry.

Current Employee - ACT - Paramedic in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - ACT - Paramedic in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Cook Children's Health Care System

Pros

Cook Children's is an excellent place to work. One of the best reasons I enjoy being employed by CCMC is the comraderie among employees. I work in the ED, so it may be different on other floors, but the staff in our unit gets along extremely well. I can not think of one person I do not enjoy working with, and I have never been able to say that about any job I have ever had. Upper level management is visible and accessible, however not to the point of smothering the employee, or appearing to "watch over one's shoulder." Typically no more than about ten days pass between when someone from administration will ask me if I have all of the resources I need to do my job, if there are any process improvements I think could be made. The final question they always ask is how I am PERSONALLY doing. That is a pretty impressive and important question in my opinion, and one that is rarely asked by the administration in other healthcare facilities I have worked at. Being that we see a fair amount of sad cases come through the ED, not all of which have a positive outcome, it is easy to get beaten down sometimes. It is nice to know management and administration care. I have also see many of the suggestions that have been given to management put into action, so it makes the staff feel good that they are not only being heard, but actually being "listened" too. The hospital also gives out gifts almost every quarter for nurses appreciation week, staff birthdays etc. Last year all full time staff got a $500.00 Wal Mart gift card, and part timers got a $250.00 card. The cards were given for no reason other than that the administration really appreciated our hard work and dedication, it was as simple as that. I thought that was really amazing.

The administration has a "blameless" environment attitude towards near misses and other occurrences. This means that unless you were grossly negligent, the hospital will try to fix the reason that the mistake was made, not necessarily punish the person that made it. It also encourages staff to speak up about near misses so process improvements can be made and implemented.

It is easy to find cliquish groups, especially in the healthcare setting. This is not the case at CCMC. Everyone works together and management promotes a "It's all about the kids" approach to patient centered care and environment. This goes a long way to keep the staff "job focused" and conflict free.

Cons

The only downside as of late has been staffing shortages. This is not problem specific to this hospital either, it is nationwide. Management has been trying very creative ways to recruit new staff and retain them, so it is clear that they see the problem and are responding to it. The issue isn't retention so much, but it is the fact that the hospital is growing to keep pace with the size of the community, and they can't seem to find staff fast enough to keep pace. It has been getting better however, and they are still working on the permanent solution.

I don't have a lot of feedback for the administration. This may be primarily because once every ten or so days I have a chance to give it directly to administration when they round in our unit. All of the main issues that are present have been recognized by the management and administration and are being actively worked on. My primary feedback would most likely be "Thank you."

Unit Secretary

Current Employee - Unit Secretary in For (Norway)
    Current Employee - Unit Secretary in For (Norway)

I have been working at Cook Children's Health Care System part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

AMAZING place to work. People are fantastic, benefits are good especially if you are continuing your education, and you are making a difference in children's lives.

Cons

The only con I can come up with is the pay is on the lower end of the position in the hospital district. I wish they were more competitive. Also it is true what other people have said, It's Political!

Training - work on finding trainers that truly love there job and want to improve upon current expectations. Trainers that are complacent tend to train other complacent individuals.

There are newer employer reviews for Cook Children's Health Care System