Cooper Union

It used to be good but management in last 10 years is terrible

Current Employee - Lab Supervisor in New York, NY
Current Employee - Lab Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Cooper Union

Pros

The students make it worth while . . We have a shiny new building. It looks nice.

Cons

The lack of involvement at the direct level by the administration is terrible,. They are simple collectors of huge salaries but are not involved with the actual goings on. There is no direct support f staff, of which I am one. The Dean is the supervisor of all staff and is NEVER involved with our daily work needs or problems. Our supervisor is in fact not involved.

Get off your rumps and look around at what goes on. Not twice a year for 5 minutes. Frequently. They operate by remote control and are not involved in actual operations. But the place looks nice.

18 Other Employee Reviews for Cooper Union (View Most Recent)

Great place to learn

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Cooper Union

Pros

Some of the pros are that there is an open door policy and communication between supervisors and employees. Employees are allowed to express their concerns.

Cons

Since Cooper Union is a non-profit, it does not have training budget and employees are exected to learn pretty much on their own.

Help employees understand how things wok and grasp the big picture but do continue the open door policy and communicaton

Teaching visiting workshops at Cooper Union

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Cooper Union as a contractor

Pros

Excellent student body. Students are intelligent and self-motivated. Institution has a great history, which is quite exceptional in a sector ever more driven by business logic.

Cons

With rare, individual exceptions, students are not as versed in intellectual debates as they should be. Salaries and workshop fees are rather low, although not unusually so.

There needs to be a more systematic approach to the education process, which require a more process oriented focus on the management part. Better tools, better compensation.

There are newer employer reviews for Cooper Union