There are newer employer reviews for Copper River IT

Extremely high turnaround. Do your research before taking a position

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Chantilly, VA
Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Copper River IT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the benefits is having access to many of the free online training offerings that their technology partners are providing, such as VMware and Cisco. However, most of these are sales related that VMware and Cisco offer for free to their partners, so it is of limited benefit if you are looking for decent technical training.

Cons

This company is basically a head shop - they are filling "butts in seats" contracts with various government agencies, and they must keep overhead low in order to make a profit. Growth potential in these positions is almost non-existent, and once you are placed on a contract there is absolutely no management visibility whatsoever. Another major problem is that there is almost no job security at Copper River IT. As their primary business is in the Government contracting business and they may in fact lose a contract at any given time, they will simply turn around and release those employees in order to ensure profitability. While I can understand the desire to run a profitable organization, it was my experience that employees were released with no advance notice and no severance package whatsoever. At one point, we actually observed almost 20 people fired for no apparent reason in a 2 month timeframe, which is a lot considering the company only had 90 employees at the time. The benefits are probably some of the worst I've ever experienced in the industry, in fact, at Copper River IT I paid almost double for my family's health insurance compared to what I paid in previous positions. This really has a huge impact on the overall take-home pay. And in fact, over the years, the benefits at Copper River IT have actually gotten worse. Although they finally decided to establish a 401k in 2010, there continues to be no employer match.

Advice to Management

The executive staff at Copper River IT claims that the key to making their clients happy is by having a group of enthusiastic professionals dedicated to serving their clients' interests. Management also claims that once the necessities of life are properly addressed, such as family, home, health, prosperity, and opportunity - people are more engendered to pursue their professional goals. However, the reality is that many of the employees working at Copper River IT are extremely unhappy in their positions, and management is completely out of touch with their employees. It feels like a body shop and it is, and it has created a "revolving door" atmosphere that nobody can feel completely comfortable working within. Not only do employees feel that the necessities of life are NOT being properly addressed, there is a feeling that upper-level management simply doesn't care about the employees and only wants to meet the bottom line. Certainly not the type of environment that allows one to blossom and pursue their professional goals. With some real changes within the ranks of upper level management and some pretty big changes to the overall benefits and compensation, along with a genuine desire to create an atmosphere of goodwill towards the employees, the environment could change to one which actually inspires people to help transform and grow the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Copper River IT

1. Copper River IT

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Copper River IT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people that make you feel as part of the family. The group are starting to use processes in a more positive way to achieve success across the business functions.

Cons

There are too many executives that really don't understand the whole business. They think they do and talk a good game, but are sometimes unwilling to let their people do what they have hired them to do.

Advice to Management

Have more faith in the people you hire to do their jobs. If you allow middle management to lead they will most always surprise you with what they can do.

2. A very nice place to work

I have been working at Copper River IT full-time

Pros

I've been at Copper River for quite some time now and I find it a fully satisfying place to work. The benefits are very good, work expectations are reasonable, salaries are competitive, work/life balance is enthusiastically supported and they invest in employees’ professional development to a degree I've not seen in any other company in my 20+ years in the industry. Copper River has engineers with 2-3 years of industry experience who have received enough experience and training in that short period of time that they are pursuing (and achieving) professional and expert level certifications across multiple OEM partners. If you want to learn and grow in the industry and work on compelling and challenging projects, Copper River is the place you want to be.

Cons

Each department establishes their own operating procedures but on occasion certain departments inexplicably don't follow those procedures. It's then that workflow can get gummed up.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in employees, ensure adherence to procedures across all departments or rewrite those procedures if necessary, take advantage of possible new lines of business, sell the full breadth of what the company offers. If sales lag in certain areas, adjust comp plans to incent those sales.