Great company to work for in my opinion

Current Employee - Computer Analyst
Current Employee - Computer Analyst

I have been working at Copper River IT full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management is supportive, friendly, responsive, and quick to help. Human resources is very quick as well to answer questions and resolve any issues. I can honestly say in the 8 years I've worked in this area (through various contracts); this is by far the best company I've worked for. They are very good to their people, and in my experience always putting their employees first. It really does make for a great work environment.

I can't speak for everyone in this company, but my coworkers are intelligent, well versed in their duties, and are professional in their work ethics. Some are well rounded while others have some specialties that bring a vast knowledge to the team. My managers are not only managers but also experienced analysts themselves, which makes for a much better setup than having managers that only know how to manage people.

I should mention, I had looked at a different job someone recommended to me, and found that Copper River treated me better in my time with them and leaving than I was treated by the company that was trying to hire me....

In regards to what the previous review mentioned on benefits, I've found the opposite to be true. My insurance is dramatically cheaper than my previous jobs, and way cheaper than the other job I had been looking at with a much larger company. I have no complaints about any of the benefits Copper River offers. I'm very happy to be an Orca!

Cons

Don't want to leave this blank, so here's the best I can come up with for cons:

Job security if on a government contract, though this isn't specific to Copper River. There is always the chance they may lose the contract, but most of the time whoever wins the contract will pick up the existing staff anyway. This is the case no matter what government contractor you may be employed by. It’s easier to keep who is in place than rehire. I had 1 position that I was employed by 3 companies in.

This is just my opinion, but I have no doubts that if you work for them, prove your worth, and make a good example, that they will do their best to find you another position with the company.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Other Reviews for Copper River IT

Greed Took Over

I worked at Copper River IT full-time

Pros

Tribal 8 (a) organization, aimed to give back to the community, offers clients rare opportunity for single source funding.

Cons

Like a fish out of water, doesn't have the know-how, experience, or chutzpah to own up to it and correct their mistakes.

Instead of trying to swindle more money from clients, own and mitigate issues immediately. Contrary to the popular demotivator, "If there isn't money in the solution, there is money in extending the problem" is NOT THE CASE. Promising services you have no prior experience with cheaper, and quicker than the competition is not the answer, nor is it honest or ethical. This is one sure way to lose clients and potentially be disbarred. Delivering quality end products (not 1/2 assed rushed ones) no matter how long it takes, is what builds a good reputation, develops strong client relationships, and ultimately, leads to more honest work and money. Don't be afraid of change, be transparent and alert fault as soon as it is recognized, step up to the plate, and make things right the ethical way.

Extremely high turnaround. Do your research before taking a position

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer  in  Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Copper River IT full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the benefits is having access to many of the free online training offerings that their technology partners are providing, such as VMware and Cisco. However, most of these are sales related that VMware and Cisco offer for free to their partners, so it is of limited benefit if you are looking for decent technical training.

Cons

This company is basically a head shop - they are filling "butts in seats" contracts with various government agencies, and they must keep overhead low in order to make a profit. Growth potential in these positions is almost non-existent, and once you are placed on a contract there is absolutely no management visibility whatsoever.

Another major problem is that there is almost no job security at Copper River IT. As their primary business is in the Government contracting business and they may in fact lose a contract at any given time, they will simply turn around and release those employees in order to ensure profitability. While I can understand the desire to run a profitable organization, it was my experience that employees were released with no advance notice and no severance package whatsoever. At one point, we actually observed almost 20 people fired for no apparent reason in a 2 month timeframe, which is a lot considering the company only had 90 employees at the time.

The benefits are probably some of the worst I've ever experienced in the industry, in fact, at Copper River IT I paid almost double for my family's health insurance compared to what I paid in previous positions. This really has a huge impact on the overall take-home pay. And in fact, over the years, the benefits at Copper River IT have actually gotten worse. Although they finally decided to establish a 401k in 2010, there continues to be no employer match.

The executive staff at Copper River IT claims that the key to making their clients happy is by having a group of enthusiastic professionals dedicated to serving their clients' interests. Management also claims that once the necessities of life are properly addressed, such as family, home, health, prosperity, and opportunity - people are more engendered to pursue their professional goals.

However, the reality is that many of the employees working at Copper River IT are extremely unhappy in their positions, and management is completely out of touch with their employees. It feels like a body shop and it is, and it has created a "revolving door" atmosphere that nobody can feel completely comfortable working within.

Not only do employees feel that the necessities of life are NOT being properly addressed, there is a feeling that upper-level management simply doesn't care about the employees and only wants to meet the bottom line. Certainly not the type of environment that allows one to blossom and pursue their professional goals.

With some real changes within the ranks of upper level management and some pretty big changes to the overall benefits and compensation, along with a genuine desire to create an atmosphere of goodwill towards the employees, the environment could change to one which actually inspires people to help transform and grow the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Copper River IT.

Worked for Copper River IT? Contribute to the Community!