Corel

Sinking Ship

Former Employee - Middle Management
Former Employee - Middle Management

I worked at Corel full-time

Pros

Easy going people. Interesting product space.

Cons

No future for products getting beat by competitors, poor direction and decision making, slow decision making, too much cronyism and politics - getting worse as the company ship sinks even further.

Too much internal politics adversely affecting product quality and company longevity.

46 Other Employee Reviews for Corel (View Most Recent)

Good place

Former Employee - User Experience in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - User Experience in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Corel as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It was a co-op job. In my third year. Started off great, although I thought it was a little slow. But it was my first job in the field, so I'm sure they weren't expecting me to hit the ground running anyway.

Cons

My hiring manager got laid off. At the same, I was supposed to get a few terms out of it but because of the cutbacks, my contract was not renewed. (I was supposed to get a few terms out of it.)

Great place for someone to jumpstart their careers

Current Employee - Developer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Developer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Corel

Pros

The best thing about Corel are it's people. Due to downsizing, the ones left are true professionals with great flair. For a software corporation of its size, its scale of operations is quite extensive and this is all due to the quality of its employees.

If you are a junior to intermediate level person who wishes to grow, this is a great place as you will be working with world-class professionals with a can-do attitude to everything.

Cons

Very little room for advancement. Management hold onto their positions tightly and keep their employees from evolving into leadership roles.

If you are a senior-level person, you will find it frustrating at the least.

If you want to retain your high quality employees, you need to provide them opportunities for advancement.

There are newer employer reviews for Corel