A dream job for academics, and a lot of bang for your buck.

Current Employee - Associate Professor, College of Engineering  in  Ithaca, NY
Current Employee - Associate Professor, College of Engineering in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Cornell University

Pros

Among the top engineering schools in the country, Cornell as a member of the Ivy League is a place where the University mission does not sacrifice any of the major pillars of a world-class university: (1) -all- areas of study are important to the University's mission; (2) high-quality research -and- teaching (both grad and undergrad) are both important to the University's mission.

Salary and benefits are very good, especially considering the cost of living.

Cons

Location a bit remote from major cities. Health care substandard (ironically, Cornell is a medicine powerhouse in NYC). State, property, and school taxes are steep.

Make it easier for Ithaca employees to use New York Presbyterian/HSS/Sloan-Kettering facilities in terms of insurance, discounted lodging for short-term medical-related NYC stays, etc. That some Cornell doctors won't take Cornell insurance is unacceptable.

Other Reviews for Cornell University

Lots of great opportunities and benefits, especially for the size of the community

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Ithaca, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Cornell University

Pros

Cornell has a lot to offer. It is the largest employer in the region and one of the only places where one can move from one department or role to another at the same employer. The benefits, including sick and vacation time, are quite good. Most of staff/faculty and the vast majority of students are wonderful to work with. There is a lot of opportunity to learn and grow professionally and even personally. There are issues and challenges here like anywhere (see below), but I am still optimistic and happy to work here. As someone who experienced a layoff here, I can confidently state that they handled it in the best way possible. I know corporate America would not have treated me so well as they let me go. And brought me back.

Cons

University leaders are out of touch with the rest of the staff, their needs & challenges. While they seek to balance the budget after years of mismanagement, they let staff go and expect remaining staff to work 2 or more jobs. In addition, it is such a large university it is almost impossible to guarantee consistency in promotions, job reviews, and policy enforcement across the campuses, or at least they have not figured out how to do it. People are often promoted to managers without training or ability, and then no one wants to address the issues caused among the employees.

Promote people to management based on managerial skill/potential, not to reward them for being good at their current job. Some excellent people end up being set up to fail, and their employees suffer needlessly.

Cornell has helped me grow substantially as a researcher and educator, and has given me ample opportunities to succeed.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Ithaca, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Cornell University

Pros

Very flexible work schedule and location, plenty of independent work, easy access to faculty and advisor, good computing resources, easy access to health care providers, many opportunities for professional development on campus

Cons

Health care is a little below average, each person's experience will be different depending on the fit to their advisor, can have too much independent work at times, guidance is often lacking if you don't realize you need it

A mandatory seminar class on expectations and realistic experiences of graduate students for incoming graduate students would be appreciated, also departmental or area specific seminar on job opportunities/search advice/resources would be appreciated

There are newer employer reviews for Cornell University.

Worked for Cornell University? Contribute to the Community!