There are newer employer reviews for Cornell University

Progressive Science, Great People, Not free of typical academia drawbacks

Former Employee - Research Technician in Ithaca, NY
Former Employee - Research Technician in Ithaca, NY

I worked at Cornell University

Pros

-Small town feel of Ithaca
-Fantastic science, cutting edge, opportunity to be involved in interesting work
-Great benefits and wellness programs
-Employee Degree Program or Employee Classes

Cons

-Pay can be bleak, pay raises minimal
-Parking is difficult and costly, for those who don't live close enough to walk to work (bus route is fairly useful though)
-Winters are long
-Environment can be very stressful and competitive

Consider sliding scale parking based on employees salary! The bus route isn't always feasible depending on your work schedule.

364 Other Employee Reviews for Cornell University (View Most Recent)

It is intense but enjoyable

I have been working at Cornell University

Pros

It is a famous academic institution with great faculty members. We have a great deal of resources available to do research and job search.

Cons

The study here is quite stressful. Course work is very intense. And I also need to do research or TA duties aside that.

If they could really provide more support for students that are under extraordinary pressure instead of just putting fence on the bridge.

Lots of great opportunities and benefits, especially for the size of the community

I have been working at Cornell University

Pros

Cornell has a lot to offer. It is the largest employer in the region and one of the only places where one can move from one department or role to another at the same employer. The benefits, including sick and vacation time, are quite good. Most of staff/faculty and the vast majority of students are wonderful to work with. There is a lot of opportunity to learn and grow professionally and even personally. There are issues and challenges here like anywhere (see below), but I am still optimistic and happy to work here. As someone who experienced a layoff here, I can confidently state that they handled it in the best way possible. I know corporate America would not have treated me so well as they let me go. And brought me back.

Cons

University leaders are out of touch with the rest of the staff, their needs & challenges. While they seek to balance the budget after years of mismanagement, they let staff go and expect remaining staff to work 2 or more jobs. In addition, it is such a large university it is almost impossible to guarantee consistency in promotions, job reviews, and policy enforcement across the campuses, or at least they have not figured out how to do it. People are often promoted to managers without training or ability, and then no one wants to address the issues caused among the employees.

Promote people to management based on managerial skill/potential, not to reward them for being good at their current job. Some excellent people end up being set up to fail, and their employees suffer needlessly.

There are newer employer reviews for Cornell University