Postdoc @ cornell

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in Ithaca, NY
Current Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Cornell University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good job without any stress, But you need to work in a very cold city. In general is good.

Cons

salary is awful, you can't even go to the trip with that money. I prefer to take a job instead of Postdoc.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Research has been exciting, and the community is very vibrant so after research time is also fun.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Ithaca, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Cornell University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Community is lovely - both Ithaca and the campus community. Lots of activities and clubs to get involved in if you want. Compensation is good at Cornell compared to other universities. The flu season gets crazy but otherwise, the campus healthcare is good. I'm satisfied with the research environment.

Cons

Being a grad student is tough. Sometimes your advisor may not have your best interests in mind and it is very hard to challenge that because there is no organized 'grievance' committee that is ACCESSIBLE to all students. The director of graduate studies is supposed to do this but I see that he/she fails because they don't take the job seriously, and the title is given on a rotation basis rather than on merit.

Advice to Management

The best interests of grad students are never in the mind of advisors, thesis committees, or department programs as a whole. I feel that sometimes the politics between faculty in the department is detrimental to students.

2. I was a Cornell student and worked as a PlottingTA for the architecture department.

Former Employee - Plotting TA, AAP in Ithaca, NY
    Former Employee - Plotting TA, AAP in Ithaca, NY

I worked at Cornell University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is great in helping with the everyday expenses of college, especially for a work study student. The job is quite light and there is opportunity to work on school work during the work hours. Additionally it helps with knowing how to print yourself, so when review times come you can resolve glitches and print your own material faster.

Cons

Sometimes hours may not be considered enough (5 per week). Additionally when review times come around printing for others may become stressful as technology issues arise.