cashier

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe

Pros

the food was good, and i enjoyed the regulars that came in

Cons

management needs to be consistent

Advice to Management

prioritize

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Everything is going downhill, FAST

I have been working at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My store was just opening when I was hired, so I felt really comfortable starting here. Training was a lot of fun, the energy that was felt in the first few weeks was great. The food is amazing, and co-workers are fun and easygoing for the most part. When it's slow it can be very laid-back. Management is very supportive.

Cons

After training ended, the energy completely shifted. I started out as a server, and even in the beginning I felt that what was being asked of me was more than one person could handle: having to serve a full dining room, bus tables, and deal with customers is too much work for even two or three servers. I soon was cross-trained to cash, but this just gave them an excuse to make me do triple the work I was originally doing. Plus, the way that people are scheduled is strange. At times we are so short-staff that I am forced to work cash, expo, and serving all at the same time. Very stressful. And don't even get me started on weekends.

Advice to Management

Make "Service Attendant" and "Dining Room" two separate positions.

Try to sign on as anything BUT a server

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time

Pros

Good atmosphere and fun if you have the right coworkers. Half-off discount on food and free drinks.

Cons

-You'll be worked to the bone and under-appreciated. As a server you have more closing tasks than anybody else yet you aren't taken as seriously because the server position is seen as entry-level, as opposed to expo, cooks, etc.
    -Weekends and lunchtime are nightmares. The dining room is often filled with chatty women on lunch dates or screaming children. You'll exhaust yourself trying to do a billion things at once and management will still give you a hard time if one little thing is out of place, yet they won't schedule extra help because they want to save their money. Therefore customer service suffers as well as you. Very unsympathetic to employees.
    -Managers treat you like children; very little freedom. They treat employees like idiots without even giving them a chance to show they know what they're doing. Then later they'll complain that they have to micromanage.
    -You either get more hours than you can handle or less than you need. If money is tight they will push you to finish your tasks faster to save on hours, so there's even more pressure.

Advice to Management

-Practice what you preach. A manager who tells you to treat guests with upmost kindness and care is hard to take seriously when they aren't going to extend the same treatment to the employees. They do the jobs you don't want to do, so show some respect. If you're going to tell them that teamwork is important, have everyone help each other rather than each person taking on more than they can handle.
    -Have some faith in your employees. They aren't stupid. Micromanaging all the time is bad for morale and is not needed as much as you think.
    -Stop being so full of yourself. You work at a bloody cafe.