Corning
www.corning.com Corning, NY 5000+ Employees

Constant 'head banging' battle!

Project/Process Tech (Former Employee)
Painted Post, NY

ProsPay scale, compensation and benefits are excellent.

ConsToo many Chiefs and not enough Indians. Too many middle managers along with top managers who are not sure which end is up. Often notice 'micro-managing' happening also.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the core values you tell all incoming employees about during their orientation periods. Many 'managers' and 'department heads' tend to forget them. The most important one is to 'value the individual'. Times change and just because 'it's been done this way for years' doesn't hold up any longer. Innovation is the key to success and even the 'lower' employees can see issues with processes that need updating or tweaking. Do away with your PD&R yearly assessment. I have been told BY MANAGERS it is nothing but a POPULARITY CONTEST. If the department staff like you, you will get a good review that will related to a merit increase. It is not based upon job performance like it should be. Talent is lost when this happens. Worry about the job instead of the people. If the job is done, the people are good. If the job is not done, then the people are are not good. Listen to those doing the job also as they are doing it every day and can tell you what the problem may be.

Excellent management

Statistical Engineering (Former Employee)
    Corning, NY

I worked at Corning as an intern for less than a year

Pros: Wonderful work-culture. Very satisfying experience. Excellent diversity. Cons: A little remote-location but the surroundings in the upstate area… Advice to Senior Management: None really. I love you guys! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

It exceeded my expectations!

Manager (Current Employee)
    Corning, NY

I have been working at Corning full-time for less than a year

Pros: Company values are truly important, people are valued; company grows thru innovation and minor acquisitions; HQ located in… Cons: Living in New York State is very expensive (especialy real… Advice to Senior Management: Keep up the good work and give more chance to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Corning.

Worked for Corning? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Corning reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Corning CEO Wendell P. Weeks. All reviews posted anonymously by Corning employees.