Corning
www.corning.com Corning, NY 5000+ Employees

Corning great place to work but, has pitfallsx

Computer Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Corning

ProsScientifically top of industry. Corning will train employees fully in their jobs. They are great about time off when needed and have a nice goal sharing plan. Their health and dental insurance are good, vision not so much. Their 4012K and pension packages are also nice. Corning has a complete New Employee Orientation that takes a couple of weeks to complete and is full time, even if you are transferring to a new position you are required to go through NEO. Also if you are hired and need an updated techinical skill they will make sure you get that training.

ConsIn the IT department women don't advance. All of middle and top management is men. I have also yet to have any career counseling from my supervisor I had to go outside my department. Also pretty sure that inside the IT department women and men aren't paid the same. I believe that on an average the men make more money then the women, and are promoted at a higher rate. Not sure about the other departments or at the corporate level but, it is definetly happening in IT on a plant level. The band level of employees is not clear also.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote women inside IT and choose supervisiors on people and technical skills. Also there should be a set standard in hiring, if someone has been working in a field for a certain amount of time they should be hired in at the same level as someone else. Women and men should be treated equally.

Project Leader

Project Leader (Former Employee)

I worked at Corning as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros: Good pay and benefit, friendly environment to work Cons: Too politics to work and no life due too many… Advice to Senior Management: Want to make a example in Asia? be careful… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

appreciate the empowerment and freedom to act

I have been working at Corning full-time for less than a year

Pros: understanding superiors, nice working environment, technology leadership Cons: conservative management, at time too process orientated Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Corning.

Worked for Corning? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Corning reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Corning CEO Wendell P. Weeks. All reviews posted anonymously by Corning employees.