Corning

www.corning.com

Good company, poor location.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Corning, NY
Former Employee - Intern in Corning, NY

Pros

Corning treats their employees well. The pace of work is more relaxed than at other companies, and work/life balance was terrific. From my experience and from what I have heard around the company, Corning genuinely treats their employees well.

Cons

Corning, NY isn't exactly the most exciting place to be. If you're not into the outdoors, there isn't much to do. The town may be a great place to raise a family, but it's tough for singles looking to meet someone.

The recruiting program needs some revamping. There is no formal recruiting process for universities, and leadership programs for college grads are a bit lacking.

Other reviews for Corning

Proud to work for Corning

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Corning, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Corning, NY

Pros

Work/Life Balance - time off for appointments, family issues, etc.
    Goalsharing - annual compensation based on goals met
    Salaries in line with comparable jobs in area - although pay range bands are fairly vague in determining potential salaries.
    Bonuses are offered as incentives to refer friends and family to apply for jobs at Corning.
    The people are great - it is exceedingly rare to find a 'bad apple'

Cons

Not as much chance for advancement as I would like.
    Often candidates are identified before a job is posted.
    Extra effort is not always rewarded or even recognized.

Keep up the good work

Corning great place to work but, has pitfallsx

Current Employee - Computer Systems Engineer  in  Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Computer Systems Engineer in Wilmington, NC

Pros

Scientifically top of industry. Corning will train employees fully in their jobs. They are great about time off when needed and have a nice goal sharing plan. Their health and dental insurance are good, vision not so much. Their 4012K and pension packages are also nice. Corning has a complete New Employee Orientation that takes a couple of weeks to complete and is full time, even if you are transferring to a new position you are required to go through NEO. Also if you are hired and need an updated techinical skill they will make sure you get that training.

Cons

In the IT department women don't advance. All of middle and top management is men. I have also yet to have any career counseling from my supervisor I had to go outside my department. Also pretty sure that inside the IT department women and men aren't paid the same. I believe that on an average the men make more money then the women, and are promoted at a higher rate. Not sure about the other departments or at the corporate level but, it is definetly happening in IT on a plant level. The band level of employees is not clear also.

Promote women inside IT and choose supervisiors on people and technical skills. Also there should be a set standard in hiring, if someone has been working in a field for a certain amount of time they should be hired in at the same level as someone else. Women and men should be treated equally.

There are newer employer reviews for Corning.

Worked for Corning? Contribute to the Community!