There are newer employer reviews for Corning

Pleasant, supportive community and transparent culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Corning, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corning, NY

I worked at Corning

Pros

nice people, close-nit community, great opportunity for career development

Cons

upstate new york might not be an attractive location

171 Other Employee Reviews for Corning (View Most Recent)

Excellent Company, small location

Current Employee - Senior Development Engineer  in  Painted Post, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Development Engineer in Painted Post, NY

I have been working at Corning

Pros

Company thrives on innovation and new ideas. Great place for people who are looking forward to contribute. Excellent communication between management and employees. Well equipped to handle diversity.

Cons

Small Location. Not much to do apart from work. Corning's business is cyclical and one has to be prepared to move in case of a layoff.

Keep continuing the great work. Build a development center in an urban area to attract and retain better talent.

Good company to work at, but the culture is "harsh".

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Corning, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corning, NY

I have been working at Corning

Pros

There are truly some excellent people at Corning - at all levels of management and staffs. The culture allows for a conservative approach to business while at the same time promoting risk-taking with scientific exploration and product development. A truly exciting place to work.

Cons

Overall, I would liken Corning to a college fraternity or sorority - in that you pay for any loyalty the company shows you by surviving the lifelong hazing and brainwashing.

This may sound ironic - but I personally accept the trade-off. I believe it's important for people considering a move to Corning (especially Corning NY specifically) to be aware of the undertones of "Stepford" that exists here. I actually tend to be frustrated by people who can't accept the conditions at the company and expect the company to adapt to them. This is Corning, after all, and it's been this way for 160 years - get over yourselfs and get in step with the establishment! Or, decline the job offer.

I should also add that specific to my Stepford reference...be VERY aware that you will be pressured outside of work to do things in the community that your bosses agree with. A recent example is the school system vote. There were voicemails from senior executives telling people how to vote and a lot of internal pressure to vote a certain way.

And while most people are very nice throughout the company (and they really are), remember...if you cross your boss outside of work (or your kid beats their kid in a baseball game...), be prepared to pay the price at work. Just remember that your personal life and job are now one in the same.

Try to better live the values of "Valuing the Individual" and "Integrity is the Bottom Line" when dealing with employees. Maybe valuing the few over the many isn't how you should run a GLOBAL company. Try to acknowledge a greater diversity of employees (both new hires and tenured long-timers with experience) rather than patting the same old cronies on the back.

There are newer employer reviews for Corning

Worked for Corning? Contribute to the Community!