Corporation for National and Community Service

www.nationalservice.gov
Unclaimed Profile
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Corporation for National and Community Service

You really have to have a passion to help others

Former Contractor - Vista in Chicago, IL
Former Contractor - Vista in Chicago, IL

I worked at Corporation for National and Community Service as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great opportunity for people who are looking to give back to their community, looking for an internship, looking for a new career, dealing with employment hardship or who are passionate about what the commit to.

Cons

The only down two down sides about this opportunity is that if you take on this role you will have to commit to living at at or below poverty for 1 year. Secondly, if you for some reason if you get displaced from an assignment or opportunity due to it not being a good fit where you are stationed, you risk the other benefits or rewards at the end of service.

Advice to Management

When a VISTA has an issue with his assignment, do not automatically assume that it due to the VISTA not being a good fit. The management of that organization could have some issues that deeply rooted in their culture. Secondly, when things do not seem to be working get with the site and the VISTA volunteer in a conference meeting to discuss openly a resolution versus speaking to each party separately and forming a bias opinion. My CNCS contact said somethings to me that was very unprofessional and dare not repeat it nor am I trying to burn a bridge. However I will always remember this opportunity as my opportunity of being able to give back because my second site I went to treated me as part of the team, welcomed my energy, creativity, optimism and I am still volunteering time.

reviews filtered by
  1. Wonderful AmeriCorps experience.

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Corporation for National and Community Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had the pleasure of serving a term of AmeriCorps that helped me grow as a person and understand some of the realities that exist as a result of poverty.

Cons

I, in all honesty, cannot think of a negative with regard to working through the Corporation for National and Community Service.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

2. Rewarding and Frustrating All In The Same Day

Current Employee - Vista in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Vista in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Corporation for National and Community Service

Pros

You will gain valuable project development skills which can be applied to many future jobs.
    The perception of VISTAs is very positive in the business world.
    Great introduction to politics of not for profit and government organizations,

Cons

Project placement site/ Assignment description determines that course of work that you will be doing even if you find that your time might be better spent working on something else.