There are newer employer reviews for Corrections Corporation of America

Good to get your foot in the door.

Current Employee - Corrections Officer in Nashville, TN
Current Employee - Corrections Officer in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You form a close "family" type bond with your coworkers (especially the ones you go through training with), the leadership is very supportive (in most places), and just about an unlimited supply of OT (unfortunately a majority of it is mandatory).

Cons

A LOT of favoritism and double standards, you can't leave without relief (you'll find out about 30 minutes before the end of your shift whether you're working an extra 4 or not), not a good selection if you enjoy spending time with your family, and expect an average of at least 1-2 16 hour days per week.

Pay attention to your officers and their needs. This is a safety sensitive job, and when we are worn down and burned out, it can affect more than you think.

76 Other Employee Reviews for Corrections Corporation of America (View Most Recent)

hard work, hard to do without resources

Former Employee - Academic Instructor in Alamo, GA
    Former Employee - Academic Instructor in Alamo, GA

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

paycheck, support of colleagues within the department, officers were supportive when there were any threats

Cons

did not support employees job responsibilities with necessary resources. pay was not correlated to state guidelines for educators. security warden did not care that education was operating in some cases (annex location) without any officer support.

get an idea of what the people working under you actually do and are supposed to do. it's hard to educate inmates that cannot get to class.

Let's blame everyone else for our screw ups

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Eloy, AZ
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Eloy, AZ

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a job. At least I can pay my bills.

Cons

Very poor programs. Tools necessary for job are outdated and don't work properly.

Treat your employees better than the inmates.

There are newer employer reviews for Corrections Corporation of America