Cost Plus

www.worldmarket.com

Negative

Former Employee - Supervisor
Former Employee - Supervisor

Pros

Great benefits, 30% discount, time off is reasonably easy to get. Good job experience but do not plan on making a career, get the experience & move on.

Cons

Management does not back you up, they will write you up for just about anything if they do not like you. Preferable treatment given to some members of the team. They offer no bonus to supervisors or dept. heads - The only one getting the bonus is the GM & they sit in the office 95% of the time.

Other reviews for Cost Plus

An exercise in futility and frustration. RUN AWAY!

Current Employee - Department Head
    Current Employee - Department Head

Pros

The discount is great. I'm able to furnish a lot of my home for really cheap.
    Many of the products are very well-made or tasty.
    Your co-workers are likely to be very intelligent and educated.
    The customers can be very cool; I've made several good friends and contacts from them.

Cons

They want you to do an amazing amount of work for little to no compensation. They pay lower than practically any comparable retailer like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. We're talking $3 to $5 an hour less.
    Mgmt is made up of frightened people who are intimidated by the store employees. This leads them to act in negative ways, stifle growth, etc.
    People come and go like crazy. The attrition rate is through the roof in most stores.
    There's little respect for the intellect of team members, and mgmt often resorts to mind games and lies to keep people "in line."
    The health benefits are a joke. They use one of those "limited benefit health plans" that screw workers out of meaningful health coverage. The real insurance is saved for FT workers, but they only have maybe two FTers at each location. They'll keep your employment status as PT Over for forever, but will expect FT hours and work.
    Favoritism is rampant.
    If I hear one more thing about that stupid WME program, I'm going to choke someone. I have better things to do than sign up my awesome customers for spam emails.
    Store mgmt is HIGHLY encouraged to give bad reviews to employees in order to avoid giving out raises. There are people in my store who have barely gotten .15 in the last three years, cumulatively. I've heard this from a lead supervisor of my acquaintance who is eminently trustworthy.
    They love to hold promotions out like carrots, get you to bust ass to earn the job or impress mgmt, then hire an outside person. In my store, we've learned to simply ignore new job postings (when we get them, which is next to never). We wait for the new person to come in, then we go for the job once they walk out...and they ALWAYS walk out.

Stop promoting incompetent people to management positions. Also, get real about pay. Do you really think that you're going to get a dedicated, high-achieving worker with piddling money? Better yet, why does this company think that they're entitled to such a thing? Get a reality check and sweep out the bad store management, and you'll find that retention improves drastically.

They need stable management, not a new Joe ever few months.

Pros

They will work with your schedule especially if you have school or another job to deal with.

Cons

Management never lasted, they always brought in another random person to train for a few months before they ended up leaving.

No advice, anything said won't matter since the management never lasts. They can go through 2 or 3 managers in a year.

There are newer employer reviews for Cost Plus.

Worked for Cost Plus? Contribute to the Community!