Great People, Horrible Pay

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, fun environment, awesome products and employee discounts.

Cons

Crappy pay,and depending on your location there can be a lot of pressure. Heavy lifting. Even management is underpaid at around $15 an hour. Sales associates start at $8.50. Department heads only get around $10. Too much pressure and annoying BS about the world market explorer program. Working there a year and I only got a 25 cent raise.

Advice to Management

Please pay your associates more and appreciate us because THAT is when you will get eager-to-work employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

So many problems, so little competence.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Valencia, CA

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The products are awesome, and usually pretty good quality. You have food from all over the world, interesting art, pretty good wine, most at prices that aren't super expensive. The customers are fairly easy-going, I think because the store tends to attract people who are more relaxed in general. The store sells things people want, not necessarily need, so they tend to come to the store to take their time and wander. The employee discount can be impressive on large orders, or things on sale.

Cons

Where to start? There are problems at every level of the totem pole, from stock to PoS. There is a complete lack of common sense from the managers, who seemingly don't know how to, or don't care to do their jobs. I understand that it has to be hard to run a store like Cost Plus, but there are so, so many problems that it seems excessive. Problems with stock not putting out products on time, leaving trash all over the store and taking (video-taped) naps while scheduled for work? Problems with the PoS person hanging out in the office, not knowing how to update signs, put out signage for things on sale and losing the store thousands of dollars because they don't know or don't care to remove the few signs they did put up? Problems with sales associates not knowing the products or not knowing store policy because they aren't properly trained and are spread way too thin thanks to horrible scheduling because there are simply too many of them? These are all problems that the store has had for a long, long time now, years in some cases, and all of them can be traced to continued failures in management. I'm honestly surprised the store is still functioning, given how long these things have been going on.

Advice to Management

Our district manager needs to take a more active hand in this store. Either he, or someone else from Corporate needs to spend a couple days at the store, maybe disguised as a new hire or a vendor if it's not the man himself. Really, take a look at the way the store is run, look at the incompetency, look at the bloated amount of Associates and Stock, look at how much money the store loses by them not knowing the product or current policy due to horrible scheduling, improper training and lack of 'giving a crap', look at how long the PoS person has been sucking at their job and losing the store thousands of dollars, and then start firing people. Considering how many people need jobs, it can't be hard to find new stock crews, PoS people, managers, sales associates, who actually want to work and want to be there. This widespread apathy is how stores and entire companies go bankrupt.

2. My first job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working here was really smooth, my management and coworkers were incredibly friendly and the customers were very unique. I was really sad to go, but I was only hired for seasonal employment. Their interviews were done in groups, which really helped me as my first interview. They really stay on top of things, checking on their employees, getting back to you quickly about concerns and issues.

Cons

Really out of date systems, slow registers, and slow business outside of the holidays. It was unbearably slow until we got to the winter holidays, then it was unbearably busy, then slow again. 75% of the year, so I've seen, they don't have a lot going on, but they have really interesting products.

Advice to Management

This company needs some way to pull in customers on a daily basis, not just the holidays. I feel like there was more to draw the average customer in, not just eccentric couples looking for good chai tea or imported furniture.