Cost Plus

There are newer employer reviews for Cost Plus

world marker

Former Employee - Department Head in Sanford, FL
Former Employee - Department Head in Sanford, FL

I worked at Cost Plus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours with good management and customer service. Employer will put you through school if willing to show commitment. They are very good at hiring within.

Cons

Retail hours and long hours during the holiday season. Interpersonal problems apparent within the staffing. Pay is below average for the assistant managers.

I would like to see more effort in getting the new employees up to speed when hired

368 Other Employee Reviews for Cost Plus (View Most Recent)

Elementary retail

Current Employee - Stock/Cashier in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Stock/Cashier in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great product for what it is, team environment when the store manager isn't there.Discount is good. Great place if you're a seasoned retail worker as its pretty much brainless work.

Cons

Point system for attendance is ridiculous, you can come in sick get sent home and still garner a half a point.It borderlines on being against most labor laws for sick leave.If you have a full time job this system can rack up points if you have to work or run late from your full time job.I make more in one day than I make in a month with my PT schedule from my full time job. My full time job comes first.The store manager talks to the staff like their idiots except for his pets.

Find a successful retail model and follow it. Cost Plus World Market must have a high turn over rate.Management training for associate relations would be helpful. The disrespectful Scrooge type style doesn't bode well for good morale.

Decent working environment, Fun encouraged

Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (less than a year)

Pros

+ Our managers promote having fun in the workplace and enjoying your job.
    + Most of the employees are friendly and personable.
    + Good employee discount. (rumored to be reducing in November from 30% to 20%, however)
    + Good working environment, understanding managers.
    + Decent hours and shift-splitting (You will typically work part of your shift as Sales Leader, and part on Cashier)
    + Great products that you can really get behind.
    + Feedback from managers is a constant. Evaluations are a constant. If you're having trouble, they will help you. They want to help, never hinder; and they're really good about making suggestions to help you with things while you're learning.
    + Buddy system for new hires. While this can leave some things out, this enables a learning-by-doing type atmosphere and I quite enjoyed it.
    + Creativity and employee input is highly encouraged. If you think the stuff by the register looks crappy, you can change it out (within reason). If the plan-a-gram for holiday doesn't make sense or look aesthetically pleasing, you can change it; and it's encouraged that you make things look great; like something someone would like to buy.
    + The experiences. You will meet some really awesome people by way of your shoppers. Some jerks, too, but hey--it's retail. But you get a lot of immigrants and people visiting from other countries looking for things from 'home'. They have great things to share.
    + Open door policy with general manager; ability to speak your mind if something is bothering you.
    + Recognition cards are posted in the break room when you do a good job, and you can post them about anyone, as well.

Cons

- Having to scrub toilet seats with spray and toilet tissues (even while wearing gloves, this is disgusting). [if you are closing back end]
    - Having to mop the bathrooms and clean the break room. [if you are closing back end]
    - Things can get quite dusty at times, and it can be difficult.
    - Customers that aren't interested in the WME (explorer) program that get belligerent (happens more than you'd think)
    - New policy that says we cannot suggest a phone number when signing people up for Explorer program. Most people don't really put it together that your phone number IS a ten-digit number. This policy makes things rather confusing, and a bit tricky.
    - Tracking employee's WME sign-ups without rewards past pat-on-the-back. If you want to encourage this data, there should be a reward beyond "woo good job employee on your WME %"
    - Differences between managers managerial styles can get vastly confusing very quickly.
    - Having to stay later than scheduled due to the time it takes to clean in the evenings after a long day. [if you are closing]
    - The new clock in/ clock out system. Man. Most complicated machine ever that does practically nothing. It's a pain to learn. I mean in theory, awesome, but geez. I rather have a touch screen type system if we're going to get this complex with clocking in and out.
    - Only getting a schedule for one week at a time. This can cause some jumping through hoops.

Having a cleaning crew, especially for the holidays would be awesome, since after working 6+ hours, no one wants to go scrub dirty toilets and mop the back end, and then also face the whole messy messy back half of the store. Also, adjusting the closing shift hours would probably be a good idea if you're not going to assign a crew just to clean; give 1.5 hours to do closing, instead of having us work extendedly over the end of our shift. I know this doesn't always happen, but when it does, it can make it real hard on us workers.

There are newer employer reviews for Cost Plus