Cost Plus

There are newer employer reviews for Cost Plus

Quirky people, quirky place

Former Employee - Cashier in Northbrook, IL
Former Employee - Cashier in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You can always count on your day being different from the last. There's always new inventory, and personally I found that exciting. The discount was decent, especially when paired with a sale.

Cons

I remember group meetings being a pain that really served no purpose. We also had to bend over backwards for customers who expected World Market to be Neiman Marcus.

It's not right for someone to have to come back from break early because the front is swamped. There's a reason most employees would rather sit in their car for fifteen minutes than the break room.

367 Other Employee Reviews for Cost Plus (View Most Recent)

world marker

Former Employee - Department Head in Sanford, FL
    Former Employee - Department Head in Sanford, FL

I worked at Cost Plus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours with good management and customer service. Employer will put you through school if willing to show commitment. They are very good at hiring within.

Cons

Retail hours and long hours during the holiday season. Interpersonal problems apparent within the staffing. Pay is below average for the assistant managers.

I would like to see more effort in getting the new employees up to speed when hired

Elementary retail

Current Employee - Stock/Cashier in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Stock/Cashier in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great product for what it is, team environment when the store manager isn't there.Discount is good. Great place if you're a seasoned retail worker as its pretty much brainless work.

Cons

Point system for attendance is ridiculous, you can come in sick get sent home and still garner a half a point.It borderlines on being against most labor laws for sick leave.If you have a full time job this system can rack up points if you have to work or run late from your full time job.I make more in one day than I make in a month with my PT schedule from my full time job. My full time job comes first.The store manager talks to the staff like their idiots except for his pets.

Find a successful retail model and follow it. Cost Plus World Market must have a high turn over rate.Management training for associate relations would be helpful. The disrespectful Scrooge type style doesn't bode well for good morale.

There are newer employer reviews for Cost Plus