Cost Plus

www.worldmarket.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cost Plus

Cost Plus World Market

I have been working at Cost Plus

Pros

Cost Plus World Market has great benefits even for PT 20+ hrs, excellent employee discount and performance evaluations are 360 degree feedback and extensive. The merchandise is unique, fun and affordable-great product.

Cons

Because of the wide selection in merchandise the physicality of stocking, displaying, storing and servicing the customer can be a challenge.

Minimize furniture skus, reduce overall inventory for a cleaner presentation, review labor model especially in key departments and review logistics for safety and selling.

351 Other Employee Reviews for Cost Plus (View Most Recent)

Good short-time position unless you are the GM, management is just a title, safety an issue.

Current Employee - Associate in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Associate in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Cost Plus

Pros

There's a wide variety of items and the employee discount is great. Most of the customers are laid back because they want to be there, not because they have to. If you are full-time (and you are only if you are a supervisor or manager), the benefits are pretty good. Part-time employees (all others no matter how many hours you work a week) used to have the same options, but the economy changed that. Some benefits are available, but nothing to give you peace of mind. However, part-time associates that work 20 hours or more to receive vacation pay. The management at my location is fairly flexible with granting time off.

Cons

Lack of direction from management and corporate, safety issues that are talked about but never implemented, unavailability of full-time status if you are not in management but still put in the hours, and false advertising to customers. The amount of work and sales required from associates has been increasing, however, the amount of associates to work has been decreasing. My location has been working without a furniture lead or stock lead which means that the lower-tiered cashiers are being forced to unload trucks, build furniture and operate a towmotor with no license or pay raise. As a matter of fact, not one associate, supervisor, or department head has a towmotor license nor has one ever at my location.

Senior management (I mean corporate) really needs to communicate amongst one another before passing information to the store level. There has been unlimited times that one department has directions or schematics that are to be done that interfere with another departments directions. There has been way too much rework than is necessary. The inventory flow should have a little more control at the store level. We always have too much of one thing, and not enough of another. The geographical area that I work at is subtropical and has an older population. We know more at the store level than you may think.

World Market is a World of Blunders

Former Employee - Department Head in Whittier, CA
    Former Employee - Department Head in Whittier, CA

I worked at Cost Plus

Pros

Cost Plus World market, a fantastic place to work part time. Especially if you're a student, or just need extra income. Being surrounded by so many products from around the globe is amazing. Honest pay, and good benefits.

Cons

One key point that must be made on the above "positives" for working at Cost Plus World Market. You have to understand that you will only be happy working here if you don't care about what management thinks about you, and the other employees. If you don't mind having no interaction between staff. You will probably never hear about any opportunities for advancement. Never really communicate with your GM. And constantly have to dodge falling freight (without the use of safety equipment) which you will never go over how to use either. The lack of communication makes it difficult for any one to do their jobs correctly. At least without having to do the same job six times before getting it right... Thus having the same incompetent managers/supervisors writing you up for not doing your job. Or in some cases even sending you home because no one told you what to do. This is something, I guess you have to be okay with while working there. Be warned. I felt that working in a place like "World" Market. I would not witness/hear any race issues. But sure enough from the very first day, comments "not directed at me", but towards others in general, were openly discussed. By Management no less. When and if you do choose to finally speak up about such matters, you are then treated like a second class employee. There's no hiding it. Upfront remarks and body language that will make the "average" person question why he/she is there to begin with. That's why i say it's a good place to work at for a very short time. Just passing by i you will. I can also 100% say that when you do choose to have your own opinion against your GM or supervisors, do not contact HR. That is do not contact them if you really don't care about your privacy, or wish to have a heart to heart with someone you should be able to trust. This was probably the worst HR department I've ever worked with. I've been quiet for a while now. But I recently visited a Cost Plus store in Southern California, and immediately saw the same stresses, non-acknowledgements, and disregard of cashiers, stock, department heads, and even supervisors from time to time from GM. If you, or anyone, wants to have a good sense of how retail should be operated, this is not it. I say that whoever is doing the hiring of Management should be spoken with. And that all employees should not have to lose their standing as people while working for Cost Plus. This company has the potential to be great, but with the lack of order, and constant backstabbing, it is not a place i would want to work for or at again. Something needs to be done. And as for myself, I've gone to the top, talking to people at the corporate office. Nothing is done. Nothing is taken care of. And customers are constantly cheated by false advertising. And again, safety is a major flaw. Based on what I've seen, there are probably 1000's of lawsuits just waiting to happen. "I came close" but feared loosing my job or being treated poorly. And if you're hired as a "cashier" don't be confused when you find yourself also sweeping, building fixtures, coming into work at 5am one day and then 5pm the next. "If you complain, you're an outcast."

Please take more care when hiring people for GM positions. Have more online information for employees. And keep better track of stock. And make it the #1 priority to have every new employee go over and understand safety equipment to prevent accidents. Or even possible deaths. Which I have seen practically happen. But, they were preventable and avoided. (just not by management)

There are newer employer reviews for Cost Plus