There are newer employer reviews for Cost Plus

Great Retail Company

I worked at Cost Plus

Pros

People are hardworking, diverse, and really know what they are doing
Corporate culture is entrepreneurial, low-ego, and holds people accountable.
fast-growing!!

Cons

No training; everyone is so busy! Training is personalized and there is no structure
Old home office, not a lot of meeting spaces. Meetings happen in the cafeteria so eat at your desk!

Pay attention to how you train people. Personalized training methods hinder new employee's confidence and productivity.

319 Other Employee Reviews for Cost Plus (View Most Recent)

Great Place to work

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Cost Plus full-time

Pros

- Interesting product and fun costumers
    - Employee discounts on great deals
    - Great work environment

Cons

- Retail is hard work
    - As on the floor staff, on your feet all day

Welcome to Bed Bath & Beyond - 6 years in the job

Current Employee - Former Department Head of II Depts
    Current Employee - Former Department Head of II Depts

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Mostly good people to work with. Can get the time off you need for the most part. Great products, decent discount.

Cons

We just got our "grandfathered benefits" canceled come Dec 31st. They weren't even offering them to new hires, so only the veterans (non-management) were getting this inadequate "health benefit". Very expensive but for a healthy person OK. But now, it has put us who had them in a position that we have to get our own very expensive policies or quit. Cost Plus was one of the few places part-timers could get benefits which made the extremely hard work tolerable. Now we are screwed. We've had 4 people go on worker's comp for serious injuries and myself, had a bad one but didn't blame it on the company. Should have. Thank you management for finally making the reward program a real reward program. Now maybe I can sell it.

Quit working your people to death resetting programs and especially schematics every 3 months. The customers get confused by having their favorites moved and the employees can't give the customer service you expect while having to move things around every other week. Your decision to trash the benefits was a real deal killer. You're too focused on the almighty profit. Understandably, you must turn a profit to pay people, but I would suggest you don't hand out any large bonuses to upper management this year due to you're cancelling benefits. You are barely tolerable as it is.

There are newer employer reviews for Cost Plus

Worked for Cost Plus? Contribute to the Community!