Welcome to Bed Bath & Beyond - 6 years in the job

Current Employee - Former Department Head of II Depts
Current Employee - Former Department Head of II Depts

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mostly good people to work with. Can get the time off you need for the most part. Great products, decent discount.

Cons

We just got our "grandfathered benefits" canceled come Dec 31st. They weren't even offering them to new hires, so only the veterans (non-management) were getting this inadequate "health benefit". Very expensive but for a healthy person OK. But now, it has put us who had them in a position that we have to get our own very expensive policies or quit. Cost Plus was one of the few places part-timers could get benefits which made the extremely hard work tolerable. Now we are screwed. We've had 4 people go on worker's comp for serious injuries and myself, had a bad one but didn't blame it on the company. Should have. Thank you management for finally making the reward program a real reward program. Now maybe I can sell it.

Advice to Management

Quit working your people to death resetting programs and especially schematics every 3 months. The customers get confused by having their favorites moved and the employees can't give the customer service you expect while having to move things around every other week. Your decision to trash the benefits was a real deal killer. You're too focused on the almighty profit. Understandably, you must turn a profit to pay people, but I would suggest you don't hand out any large bonuses to upper management this year due to you're cancelling benefits. You are barely tolerable as it is.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Un

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Cost Plus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

World Market has wonderful employees, unique products that always make coming to work new and exciting, and the ability to be creative through varying merchandising techniques.

Cons

Tight labor (depending on what volume store you are in) makes it difficult to provide adequate customer service and to finish the multitude of projects that need to be completed.

Advice to Management

Training and development need to be improved on all levels.

2. ehh

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (More than a year)

Pros

fun products. that's really all I can say.

Cons

do lots of work to be unnoticed. lots of favorites and cliques.

Advice to Management

hire from within. maybe then you won't complain that the new supervisor can't get the hang of it fast enough. its common sense. you see all your associates slaving away to be a supervisor.