Cost Plus

There are newer employer reviews for Cost Plus

Welcome to Bed Bath & Beyond - 6 years in the job

Current Employee - Former Department Head of II Depts
Current Employee - Former Department Head of II Depts

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mostly good people to work with. Can get the time off you need for the most part. Great products, decent discount.

Cons

We just got our "grandfathered benefits" canceled come Dec 31st. They weren't even offering them to new hires, so only the veterans (non-management) were getting this inadequate "health benefit". Very expensive but for a healthy person OK. But now, it has put us who had them in a position that we have to get our own very expensive policies or quit. Cost Plus was one of the few places part-timers could get benefits which made the extremely hard work tolerable. Now we are screwed. We've had 4 people go on worker's comp for serious injuries and myself, had a bad one but didn't blame it on the company. Should have. Thank you management for finally making the reward program a real reward program. Now maybe I can sell it.

Quit working your people to death resetting programs and especially schematics every 3 months. The customers get confused by having their favorites moved and the employees can't give the customer service you expect while having to move things around every other week. Your decision to trash the benefits was a real deal killer. You're too focused on the almighty profit. Understandably, you must turn a profit to pay people, but I would suggest you don't hand out any large bonuses to upper management this year due to you're cancelling benefits. You are barely tolerable as it is.

351 Other Employee Reviews for Cost Plus (View Most Recent)

As far as retail goes, it's pretty decent.

Former Employee - Cashier/Staff
    Former Employee - Cashier/Staff

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good coworkers
    Usually pleasant customers
    Flexible schedule
    Helpful supervisors and managers
    Department heads are actually experts
    Pay starts above minimum wage (not much but whatever)

Cons

Sometimes a lack of communication between management and staff. Example: Don't tell someone you're keeping them on after seasonal and then just stop putting them on the schedule without a word.
    I mean, it's retail. It's not a dream job.

Continue being supportive to hardworking staff. However, make sure to respect workers' availability EVEN if it's the busy holiday season. Also actually tell staff you're letting them go instead of just taking them off the schedule.

Great Retail Company

I worked at Cost Plus

Pros

People are hardworking, diverse, and really know what they are doing
    Corporate culture is entrepreneurial, low-ego, and holds people accountable.
    fast-growing!!

Cons

No training; everyone is so busy! Training is personalized and there is no structure
    Old home office, not a lot of meeting spaces. Meetings happen in the cafeteria so eat at your desk!

Pay attention to how you train people. Personalized training methods hinder new employee's confidence and productivity.

There are newer employer reviews for Cost Plus