Cost Plus
www.worldmarket.com Oakland, CA 5000+ Employees

If I could, I'd Leave

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Pros- The 'ok' discount
- Some of the co-workers

Cons- Management disregarding availability when it comes to scheduling. Nobody enjoys being scheduled to close for three weeks in a row while also being a uni student.

- The lack of floor coverage--some days there will only be three sales associates in the store. That's it. Don't even think about it if someone calls out of work, everything is done.

- The rotation of "prime" cashier is horrible and nonexistent.

- The lack of communication in the store between associates, and between management which forces cashiers to use the intercom to announce Service calls. Only the management has phones to speak to associates but that's such a useless one-way system.

- World Market management works on the system of "building a case," whereas you can consistently do something wrong (and they see you do it wrong!) but they don't correct you. Oh, you'll hear about all your mistakes at a later date instead of them correcting you at the time.

- Management preaches the whole "team" spirit BS but there's no team. Everyone is out for themselves, which is seen when you're calling a Service 20 and nobody arrives even though other associates are within eyesight. They're too busy doing nothing.

- Not enough people scheduled for daily business or closing. You need more than two sales associates, the supervisors closing never do anything.

- There is no way to move up in management unless you've been hired as a lead already, at least at my store. Forget about a raise as well.

- For the amount of work they expect you to do with enthusiasm they sure don't pay enough.

Advice to Senior Management- Schedule enough people on the floor and three people to close, especially on the weekend.

- Pay attention to how many hours sales associates have requested, especially if it's less than what has been scheduled. You burn part timers out.

- Some sort of communication system besides the intercom system via the phones to ensure everyone can contact one another.

Welcome to Bed Bath & Beyond - 6 years in the job

Former Department Head of II Depts (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Mostly good people to work with. Can get the time… Cons: We just got our "grandfathered benefits" canceled come Dec 31st. They weren't even offering them to new hires, so only the veterans (non-management)… Advice to Senior Management: Quit working your people to death resetting programs and especially schematics every 3 months. The customers get confused by having their favorites moved and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

As far as retail goes, it's pretty decent.

Cashier/Staff (Former Employee)

I worked at Cost Plus part-time for less than a year

Pros: Good coworkers Usually pleasant customers Flexible schedule Helpful supervisors and managers Department heads are… Cons: Sometimes a lack of communication between management and staff. Example: Don't tell someone you're keeping them on after seasonal… Advice to Senior Management: Continue being supportive to hardworking staff. However, make sure to respect workers' availability EVEN if it's the busy… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Cost Plus.

Worked for Cost Plus? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cost Plus reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cost Plus CEO Barry J. Feld. All reviews posted anonymously by Cost Plus employees.