Costco Wholesale

12 Year Employee: Seen the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Current Employee - Cashier
Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Costco offers great compensation in the form of high pay, good health benefits (including medical, dental, vision), 401k, paid vacation, holidays off and paid, sick pay and twice yearly bonuses for hourly employees. The company focuses on promoting from within, so there are opportunities to advance, specifically for men. The senior management is respected and admired by the majority of the employees. The mission statement is inspiring and well known to all employees; one of the five tenants is "take care of the employee."

Cons

Costco has a lot to work on in terms of diversity in its management; specifically the mentoring and promotion of women. Costco lacks any off/on ramps for women in supervisory or managerial positions who have families or want to start them. They do allow the standard maternity leave (6 weeks) including the 12 weeks required by FMLA laws, but after that they do not allow their managers/supervisors to work a short-term reduced schedule or anything along those lines. In my particular warehouse there are no private locker rooms, bathrooms or anywhere a woman can use a breast pump. Right now, the "Electrical Room" is where we are allowed to pump. Furthermore, the numbers just don't lie. In my warehouse out of 28 managers and supervisors only 6 are women. This is definitely not representative of the warehouse, where almost 60% of the population is women. Sadly, it is not much better at the senior/corporate management level.
Middle and lower management has a lot left to be desired. They are undereducated and undertrained in HR functions; there is no onsite HR manager in the warehouses. This leaves the managers vulnerable when making promotion and disciplinary decisions. The vision of top management is broken at the warehouse level. Most managers are grossly undertrained, under qualified, undereducated and as a consequence they manage with a dictatorial, contemptuous style that destroys the morale and confidence of the employees. Most employees feel the tenant, “take care of the employee" is entirely disregarded by the management at the warehouse level. There is understandably a low level of autonomy at the hourly level, but this coupled with disrespect and disregard of employee input by the managers weakens the company.
Once promoted to management the game totally changes. Lower managers are expected to work 9.5 hours a day, with split days off. It is unspoken, but known that the warehouse should be the managers' first priority, family a distant second. These lower level managers are often promoted on merits of loyalty and it being "their time" rather than on any level of competence or qualification. They are told to "get control" of their employees; this is about the extent of their training and mentoring by the upper managers. All of these factors contribute to an uninspired and overworked management staff that disregards the ideas and needs of the employees.

The company needs to realize it has grown into a multinational corporation, and is not just a few warehouses in the Seattle area anymore. They need to rethink the HR system, perhaps installing an HR trained manager directly onsite. Managers with a business-oriented education should be valued and recruited. Retaining the "college kids" is also important. There are some employment areas that Costco just is not competitive in (IT, HR, supply chain mgt, etc.) Senior management needs to take off the "rose-colored glasses" and dig deep into their warehouses to see what's going on. Perhaps developing a 360 review process would give more accurate feedback to the employee and the managers would gain valuable insight to their performance as well. Costco is behind technologically, from the register system to the HRIS; the technology is dated and seems maintenance oriented, instead of innovation oriented.
Senior management needs to work with the warehouse managers. Train, Teach, Mentor!

1398 Other Employee Reviews for Costco Wholesale (View Most Recent)

Great company to work for but they're getting away from what made it work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Langley, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Langley, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

The pay is pretty good and they really take care of their employees....sometimes employees who should be turfed. The benefits are good and hey, if you gotta spend your life working it's not that bad.

Cons

The hours for the morning shift are horrible at 4:00 a.m., some of senior management are either out of touch with their staff, have expectations that are out of this world or are just complete morons. The attitudes of some long term employees suck and you seem to need to screw your way to the top.

Stop going up the ladder and forgetting what it is like at the bottom. The higher some go the more they forget HOW to run the business or how we got to where we are. Some managers have never even driven a forklift or stocked a pallet and have no time management skills. If you've never worked in the trenches how do you know how to win the battles or relate to your staff?

Good compensation

Current Employee - Building Maintenance in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Building Maintenance in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

The pay and benefits are second to none in the industry. I work Monday to Friday and my current position is in building maintenance. This is janitorial work and some fixing stuff and painting as well as helping other departments as needed. I have the opportunity to apply for promotion or other departments if I wish. I Currently earn over 20 dollars an hour plus 2 bonuses of about $3000 each paid every June and December. We also get a turkey at Christmas. We do not pay into our benefits and they are very generous. We also get a fairly good pension and the company matches RRSP contributions to a certain number.

Cons

For most employees there are a lot of evenings and weekend work. Very poor for family life. There is some favoritism but that is not unusual for any workplace I think.

Offer more shifts with weekends off. I'm sure that people would be willing to rotate and the business could still run well.

There are newer employer reviews for Costco Wholesale