Costco How fun

Former Employee - RTV Clerk  in  Bellingham, WA
Former Employee - RTV Clerk in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Costco pays well and also provides a variety of schedules to work. They also allow students to go on student retention and still keep their seniority. On Sundays you get paid time and a half and after 90 days you get holiday pay.

Cons

It is a retail job so expect to work weekends. Also in recent years the company has become alot less family friendly,extending the weekend hours ect. Costco preaches that there is tons of opportunity for career advancement but it really depends on the area of the country you work in. The Pacific NW is stagnant.

I think that corporate needs to make sure that the promises they make to employees are actually carried out at the warehouse level.

Other Reviews for Costco Wholesale

It was a summer job and they pay well!

Former Employee - Front End Assistant  in  Billings, MT
    Former Employee - Front End Assistant in Billings, MT

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Great company morals, pay far better than competing retailers and wholesalers, sell quality products, and treat customers great.

Cons

At my particular warehouse time off seemed to be hard to get, but I was just a summer employee.

Keep it up!

Great Company,Horrible Workplace

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant)  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Houston, TX

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Great Starting Pay
    -Amazing Benefit
    -Flexible work schedule

Cons

I had this job right after high school and it was my first work experience outside of working for my dad. Looking back at it now,I sort of wish I had taken another job. If your young and inexperience,the managers and supervisors WILL take advantage of you and your ability.

Morale is terrible for starters. I doubt your going to find more than a handful of employees that actually like working and putting up with the crap that goes on here. The warehouse that I was at felt like high school all over again. Cliches divided by race and managers. I was 19 when i started working there and I felt like I had more maturity than some of the managements.

Management here is bad. Promotion comes in form of favoritism and not ability. My own warehouse has gotten so bad that one GM was replaced for another because the former ignore an employees problem with racism. Stupid move on his part as this employee brought in an attorney and the warehouse lost a lot of money. Personally,I was subject to such problems. I had one incident that one manager yell obscenities towards me infront of paying customers. I reported him to a assistant GM but he got a way with a slap on the wrist.

My worst incident was when I was assign to cart duty when they were severely understaff (this was a huge problem at my store,the GM was THAT greedy) I was ringing the door and waiting for someone to open so I can clock out and leave. The same manager that cursed at me ran up to the door and kicked it and was a couple inches away from hitting my face. It was a metal door and I could have severely been hurt. This manager got away with that too.

My last year at Costco was the most nerve racking and im glad I left. I came out leaving jaded and a lot more pessimistic about my future jobs. Thankfully im at a job currently that is the complete opposite. Heres my advice;Dont make this a career,this is just a job. Keep going to school and leave when you can.

Dignity,Respect,Accountability. Mere words but important values nonetheless. Alot of people that work here either College Kids,People that lost their career job,or their education isnt above a highschool level. One thing they have in common is that they are just there to get by. Its a job to them and at the end of the day,the last thing they want to think about is work. If you show these people support and lead by example (like if you tell employees not to use a phone,DONT YOU DO IT) than the work experience will be a lot more bearable.

There are newer employer reviews for Costco Wholesale.

Worked for Costco Wholesale? Contribute to the Community!