Costco Wholesale

There are newer employer reviews for Costco Wholesale

Hard work pays off

Current Employee - Tire Installer in Leesburg, VA
Current Employee - Tire Installer in Leesburg, VA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great base pay for someone young with great potential for growth and advancement in responsibility and pay.

Cons

Extremely fast paced environment with little tolerance for lack of hustle and focus especially during 90 day review period

Biggest (personal) issue I have dealt with is lack of communication between supervisors/managers and schedule changes without relaying information to individual employees. This results in many "lates" and "no call no show" which the employee is always held accountable for and not those who are making changes without telling those who it affects.

1388 Other Employee Reviews for Costco Wholesale (View Most Recent)

not a good place to work if you want to have a social life or go to school while working

Former Employee - Deli in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Deli in Livonia, MI

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

good starting pay, time goes by fast

Cons

management is horrible. mcdonalds managers are more professional than these guys...

grow some balls and take care of your hourly employees. they work hard for all the money you make while you sit on a computer in the office all day

Warehouse first, employees last

Former Employee - Photo in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Photo in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Wages
    -Medical
    -401K
    -Bonuses
    -Vacation
    -Raise amounts
    -You can make some great lifelong friends.

Cons

-Lack of good management
    -Warehouse first/employees last mentality
    -Favoritism within management
    -Power trip mentality
    -Good managers/Supervisors who should move up, don't because of the corruption of higher management
    -Don't air any grievances. Odds are, they will be used against you.
    - Don't offer suggestions for improvement. When I did this, I was talked about constantly in the office by management.

Jim Sinegal was a great leader. Sadly, he has been replaced by a board of directors. He actually cared about his employees. Things have changed.

Corporate Level:
    -Perform unannounced visits - catch the store managers by surprise and you will see what truly goes on. Take time to speak to the hourly employees by themselves not in front of a manager, the employee will know better than to tell you the truth.
    -Fire abusive or unprofessional managers. Don't just move them to another location--reason I was fired, new GM who was sent to a new location, mine. Set up a proper channel to air grievances and properly investigate them, actually follow your open door policy. The person you are having issues with should NOT be in the room at the time!

Warehouse Level:
    -Stop berating employees,
    -Listen to the people who work for you. Some of the people I worked with were very intelligent and had some great ideas. They were ignored though because they were part-time, had not been there long enough, or they were just plain resented because they thought of something management did not (happened to me all of the time!)

There are newer employer reviews for Costco Wholesale