Costco Wholesale

www.costco.com
  www.costco.com
There are newer employer reviews for Costco Wholesale

great company but retail hours

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Salary, benefits, 401 match!

Cons

Retail hours, lack of college education with upper management

get your college degree so you have better opportunities

1384 Other Employee Reviews for Costco Wholesale (View Most Recent)

IT Analyst programmer

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

working for Costco brand.
    Located in issaquah.
    Free 4 pounds of turkey meat during christmas time

Cons

senior IT people have no good knowledge on the areas they are working.
    work area looks congested as 4 people need to share the same space with out minimum walls
    No free food. There are 3 food eating cafterias, but a medium healthy lunch will cost 7$ on average and if you eat outside the same food will cost 9$. No free drinks, a soda will cost 75Cents on average. No enough car parking and you will get headache everyday to find a near place, or you need to park at a mile distance and come to your desk in walking in cold.

Ok forget about food. Even I do not see any increments in salary for good programming and technical skills in my 1.5 year term. Most part is wearhouse culture.

need to do some work in recognizing talent

Not My Dream!

Former Employee - Cashier in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is OK to start-$11.00.hr and time and a half if scheduled to work Sundays (note: This is for WA State)
    Seem to be organized in their system of doing things in general
    Raise after 1020 hours or so (approx. 6 mo)
    Casual work environment

Cons

Pay is less than $2.00 over minimum (in WA State)
    Good luck on getting that raise. Your schedule will fluctuate wildly, and you may not get the same hours you got last week.
    Schedule changes EVERY week. Unless you're management, which is harder to get into than the DMZ between N. and S. Korea. Unless you know someone, then yay! Good luck working your way into mgmt. if you don't know anyone already working there.
    Your job will change from day to day until the day you get stuck somewhere. Then you're THERE.
    Really into the Costco Way, meaning they're better than anyone else and you better do it exactly their way (really?), you are NOT encouraged to think independently or outside of the box even if it's toward improvement.
    Penalties (you get written up) for clocking in more than a minute or two early or late. Yes, some people pad their time but most of us do not. Leads to employees hanging around the time clock...
    Really top heavy with managment. Little snippy people who wear red vests that, according to them, know more and are better than you.
    I injured myself while working there and asked to switch to lighter duty for a few days but was told no and asked repeatedly "Wasn't that a pre-existing injury you had before you got here??" Really insulting, and no it wasn't.
    No higher education available for employees, will not invest in you taking classes outside of work. Has Costco-sanctioned classes but they are not those that you can build toward a degree of any sort.

Yes, I know it's working, blah blah blah but really, that's for the shopper. In this economy people are happy to have a job, yes, but are they really happy with the job? Please stop focusing on the forest and acknowledge the trees-something you ought to do since you're based in the Pacific NW. You are not better than everyone either, and yes, I shop at Nordstrom's and fit the income demographic of the Costco shopper but remeber: It's nice to be smart but smart to be nice. Get over yourselves.

There are newer employer reviews for Costco Wholesale