There are newer employer reviews for Costco Wholesale

front end cashier

Former Employee - Front End Assistant in Coeur d'Alene, ID
Former Employee - Front End Assistant in Coeur d'Alene, ID

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than a year)

Pros

great benefits, with the opportunity to make a career that could support a family.

Cons

retail work with retail hours and schedules. dealing with the customer is frustrating at times.

Advice to Management

more consistent scheduling

reviews filtered by

Working As A Seasonal Employee

Current Employee - Front End Assistant in Clackamas Heights, OR
    Current Employee - Front End Assistant in Clackamas Heights, OR

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only "pro" is that Costco pays $11.00 (Oregon) and they do hire people that are not just in their 20"S That's it.

Cons

I applied for a seasonal position and was hired. I have had a horrible time in the 6 weeks I've worked at Costco. Within the first 5 hours I was humilliated by a senior cashier in front of a whole line of people. Within the first 3 minutes of assisting her she started throwing a fit and motioned for a supervisor. She asked or demanded to know "why did you put her with me. She is going to ruin my scan stats...I'm the fastest cashier here" I was shocked and embarrassed...so was the supervisor. For her outbreak, I got to go clean the toilets. From that moment nothing has gone well. Every cashier has their own quirks and want things done their way (Good luck figuring out all of them) Some are nice, others weird and some rude as hell. What I've figured out is who is an ass and who isn't. Most of my days are scheduled for carts. Most cart shifts are 4.50 hours because of how phyically demanding it is. Each of the oversized cart weighs 77lbs and they want you to push up to 10...770lbs. They don't force you to push that many but they expect it. Pushing that much weight, mostly in the pouring rain, takes a toll on your body. I can't walk after my shift for hours. All that said, I try my very best but it's not good enough. I was called in for my 30 day review a few days ago and was belittled by a older man and a 20 somthing girl. There was about 10 areas on this review and each one said that I basically am worthless. Everything they said was not true and I was confused by this. At one point the older man asked me "how can you improve while pushing carts and picking up gum?" How do you answer this? He actually said I don't do it with a sense of urgency???? Like I mentioned above, I usually am scheduled to do carts. I noticed that if you are young and pretty, they get to work inside, handing out cookbooks or folding clothes but if you are older or quiet, carts is your gig. One other issue I'm having is embarrassing. I have been told on three occasions that my shirt isn't appropriate. I am big chested but always wear loose fitting, high neck shirts so I didn't understand. I started looking at the other girls and their shirts are lower cut so I told them I was confused about what they wanted me to wear. In my review, 5 times they stated I was defensive and argumentative and defied the request???? I have 23 days left and I cannot wait for this job to end. I let it get to me and then I realized...those employees that love working there and that have worked so many years there.............know nothing else.

Advice to Management

Just because someone is a little quiet doesn't mean they are not friendly. Don't assume your new people know what YOU want...they are new and you are not. You know the job, they don't . Know that the cashiers, although should be respected, doesn't mean they can treat their assistants like servants. Your cashiers have no right to order me around, they can pick up trash too. And for your little assistant supervisors.....Listen up, I have worked many more jobs than you, Just like I would not expect you to walk into a place and know my job, why on earth do you think I know yours? Most importantly..........when giving a reveiw, find something positive to say about the employee inbetween teh negitive, the fact that they are there everyday deserves respect. If you have only negitive things to say, good luck getting any respect from them. I know I used to push 7 carts and kill myself......now I could care less and push 5 or 6..........I don't care and am just waiting to be laid off.

2. Best place for a work life balance.

Current Employee - IT Manager in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stable, Fair, Innovative, Growing, Honest

Cons

Hard to get in, lots of long term employees

There are newer employer reviews for Costco Wholesale