Costco Wholesale

Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Costco Wholesale

Good Starter Job

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Great pay and benefits for a retail job. they offer vac pay and sick pay plus medical, dental and vision. also a bonus starting at $2500 once you top out as a regular employee with no requirements

Cons

The only downside I see is that sometimes it can be difficult to move departments

1553 Other Employee Reviews for Costco Wholesale (View Most Recent)

Good company

Current Employee - Service Clerk
    Current Employee - Service Clerk

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Good Pay
    - Great benefits
    - Various departments to work
    - Promotes from within the company
    - One of the last retailers to observe holidays such as New Years, Easter, Memorial Day, Labor Day etc.

Cons

- Retail hours
    - Difficult to obtain full-time
    - Management does not respect seniority for scheduling as outlined by the employee agreement
    - Members can be obnoxious to outright hostile
    - Difficult to transfer from store to store even if a person lives far or moves
    - Hard to get promoted

Employees will be much happier if seniority is applied toward scheduling. It is unfair for newer employees to obtain better schedules then older employees (school schedules and medical reasons aside).

Golden handcuffs

Current Employee - Front End Assistant
    Current Employee - Front End Assistant

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time

Pros

It's a solid company. They offer great products at great prices and they're good at what they do. I only work part-time and I still get full benefits for my husband and myself.

Cons

Standing on concrete for 8 hours straight really wears on your body no matter how good your shoes are. It's tough to get promoted mostly because there aren't that many positions in a warehouse. They need lower level employees the most. I've heard the managers refer to Costco as offering the golden handcuffs because they do pay well. A cashier can be making over $20 an hour with time and a half on sundays. You also get full benefits, sick pay, vacation, and 401K. It's really great for someone who doesn't have whole lot of ambition. However, a lot of people have big dreams but after being as Costco a few years they're making decent money and can't afford to quit even if the job is painfully mind-numbing. Hence, the golden handcuffs.

Offer new things to keep minds stimulated.

There are newer employer reviews for Costco Wholesale