There are newer employer reviews for Costco Wholesale

It sounds like the greatest job you will ever have, and then turns into your worst nightmare.

Current Employee - Forklift Driver in West Fargo, ND
Current Employee - Forklift Driver in West Fargo, ND

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great starting pay (is now at 11.50/hr), great benefits (and cheap too!), Scheduled raises, good at working around schedule.

Cons

One word, condescending! The management here is so ridiculously belittling that they have almost no morale in the workplace, especially for the morning stock crew. Just because there are no members around doesn't mean that you can be a complete jerk and have no respect for your employees. They always talk about being fair and looking out for their employees, but if it doesn't benefit them then forget it. There is always a bottom line, they get paid more than you so they get to treat you how they feel like. Whatever happened to "treat people how you want to be treated?" I was always raised that you reap what you sow, and now that is really coming to light for me. I have had better supervisors and managers in the fast food business!

Also, don't even bother taking up your issues with the higher management. I had an issue with a manager and i followed the chain of command, all the way to the GM. The GM looked at me like i was some lowlife that didn't mean anything. Said they would "Fix" the problem, but then booted me out of the office like i was a disease trying to infect everyone. I even mentioned that my morale was very low from the yelling and belittling and it didn't even fray a single hair on their head. That manager still, to this day, treats me like i am a piece of crap. In fact, all of them do. And it's not just me, all of the stock crew complain about the same managers and their condescending tone towards all of us.

I am still working there, but actively looking for another job as this is bringing me down in my home life as well. The stress levels even make me sick, physically.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! When they say they are having an issue, don't play it off like it's a game. With a company that has an open door policy, the management needs to be open to anything, absolutely anything. Also, remember your roots. You all had to start where we are, you should be willing to treat us how you would have liked to be treated. Don't follow your former managers' footsteps, become something bigger and better and keep your employees happy or you will lose them over and over.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

it is just alright

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in San Dimas, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in San Dimas, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than a year)

Pros

the pay is pretty good...

Cons

the co workers... politics politics politics...

Costco is a great company to work for

Current Employee - Management At Corporate Office in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Management At Corporate Office in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for advancement with the promote from within culture. Most empoyees are very loyal to the company and you work with a lot of very good people. Hard work and good work ethic are noticed.

Cons

Some employees take advantage of the company culture and it can be demotivating for those that work hard.